ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟷𝟾

A couple weeks had gone by before I was actually feeling good again. My bruises were fading and I was walking much better. Shoulder was still sore though, but it was getting a hell of a lot better. Guess I was grateful to be alive right now compared to everyone else.
Not only was I alive, but it was clear mine and Selina's child was as well. She was beginning to have protrusion on her lower abdomen. A bump was forming and it did confirm that she indeed was pregnant. Made a lot of things real for me, we were estimating at least twelve or thirteen weeks now down for her. She was pretty skinny when I met her and it was no wonder she was showing already.
I wasn't having a hard time grasping the idea of being a father, but I was having a hard time envisioning myself being a father and being in this gang. I wasn't going to run off like John. That was just something I couldn't do, I knew this baby was mine since no one else had slept with Selina and it did line up with the first time we did have actual relations. I guess in many ways I was just nervous about the entire thing, I guess I just don't wanna have the relationship that John had with Abigail, it just wouldn't be right and it wouldn't be us.
Smoking a cigarette outside of our main hut, the rain is coming down hard today. This part of the state of Lemoyne was super shitty usually. Gators for miles and it rained more than you could think it would anywhere else. I would prefer New Hanover or West Elizabeth any day. Just stuck within my own feelings at the moment. Thinking about my future son or daughter and what should become of them. It was crazy I guess to think of that concept. Abigail shows up soon after and takes a seat beside me. No words for the first few seconds before her eyes finally direct over to me.
"Something looks like it's chewin' you up, Asher. Wanna talk 'bout it?"
"I mean--- It's just this whole baby thing. Last night, Selina was changing and all into her night wear, comes and shows me her little stomach. There's no doubting she's pregnant now. I know it. It's cute too, like-- She's so happy talkin' 'bout it nowadays. I just think on this everyday, 'bout being here. Bein' with Dutch and this gang. Then I think on that baby and how I need to do right by them. This right here, ain't right. I think 'bout how we could be a normal couple right now who suddenly are havin' a baby and we're all prepared and ready and we're just two people who live in West Elizabeth in a nice home in the fields. Just all that. I wish that was us 'cause I know there's people like that out there. Yet, here we are. Not normal, having a kid in the most abnormal place. It just bothers me."

She lets me get it out before saying anything more. Abigail wasn't the type that would interrupt or make you resay things. She just listened. That was all most of us needed right now. Just someone who could listen.

"You really been thinkin' on this haven't you? Ya know what, Ash. I know in the end you'll do right by her and that child. I've never known you for being a bad man or someone who would ever give up on something you want. If a nice future is what you want, then you'll get it. Hell, you got the most beautiful girl I ever did see, she's gorgeous. That baby is gonna be just as handsome or beautiful as either one of yous is. Don't be nervous, and don't be scared. Those emotions really do turn a man weak. I mean, look at my man, ran off as soon as Jack was here. Saying he wasn't his. Point is though, I know you're a great man, I know that Selina and that baby are lucky. Grab this all by the horns and make things happen. Got a feeling with how Dutch has been, things ain't gonna last much longer. You're gonna be a great father, Asher. I know it."

Seeing as Arthur was pretty much more of a father figure to me now than Dutch was, I knew Abigail was more of a mother figure to me too. Losing your parents just shy of your twenty-first birthday is a bit traumatic. I gave up on trying to sit there and act like I was hurt by it. I was for a long while, but now, I just felt a deep disconnect from the entire thing. Just went to show what being in this gang did to a lot of us. Made us cold and distant except towards one another.

"Thanks, Abigail. Means a lot. Hope I can do right by them still. I'll try my best anyway."

She gives me a pat on the back before we see a horse headed our way. Standing from my spot, it comes to the reality that it's Arthur. "No fuckin' way, Arthur Morgan." He hops off and is quick to be greeted by all of us. He's coughing like we've never seen him do so. It was a bit shocking if you asked me, he kept insisting that he was fine though, everything was fine and dandy and he was doing okay. I didn't believe him though, I could just tell there had to be something more. I wouldn't question him, just hug him and welcome him in. He looked like he needed to eat.

"Mr. Morgan."
"Mr. Sanders."

He coughs for a moment, turning away before catching his breath and letting us hug for the moment.
"How ya doin', boy? You look good, better than when I left you."
"Feelin' a hell of a lot better, you look like hell."
"Feel like it."

He chuckles before he takes note of Selina who was exiting the hut now, he smiles wide, stepping up a bit so he can embrace her too. "Ms. Hinton. You look stunnin'--- Look at that little baby. Can see 'em now. Looking perfect as hell."
Sel allowed her hand to run over that small bump and it was the cutest thing I ever did see. She was embracing this idea right now, us having this baby and the fact that they were growing perfectly, I'm standing in the rain now, just allowing it to wash over my entire self. "Thank you, Mr. Morgan. Guess you could say I'm very happy at the moment 'bout all this."
"I can tell, both of you, just glowin'. Perfect... Anyway, has anyone got some food for me?"

We allow him to come within the hut and finally enjoy a nice meal. We were happy he was back and not long after, a few other people did arrive. Just all of us being together and Dutch is still going on about leaving the country. We just ignored it for the moment, no point in stressing.