ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟸𝟽

The night falls upon the camp and everyone is pretty much going to bed. Sadie leaves down the trail, saying she was only going to Annesburg for supplies and she wouldn't be back for a bit. We acted as if she had been gone too long when we told everyone we'd go out to look for her. Selina was already sleeping so I leaned in quick to kiss her cheek before making my way to my horse, Nathan already upon his.
Last score for us, not for Dutch, just for us. To building a good future for ourselves and our future families. I was surprised Sadie even wanted to help us out. Though, a lot of it was her knowing that we deserved better. We'd do all of this for her if the roles were reversed.
I guess in many ways, though I did look at Sadie as more of a sister now, I sometimes did think on what could've been between us had Selina never come into my life. Her and I never talked about it, we just kind of shrugged it off as if it could never happen. I wasn't so sure sometimes but I doubt I would've gotten her pregnant so damn soon in our relationship. She's just a little older than me, reckon she was a good wife to that Jake fella she was with.
Nate and I head down the path and find her upon her mount with a grin upon her features.
"So, where you boys thinking of going?"
"Well, obviously there ain't no rich houses 'round here, we're thinking of going to the Saint Denis area and robbing a place there."
"Shit, how much you boys lookin' to take?"
"Feel like we just need another couple hundred and we'll be set for a bit. Obviously we have money saved back from our other scores with Dutch so in total we're at about two thousand dollars and something."

Sadie looks a bit surprised before she shakes her head with a smile upon her face.
"That's amazing, you guys really are serious 'bout getting out of this mess before that baby arrives huh?"
"It has to happen, Mrs. Adler. I can't have her here with us when it happens. Last thing I want for my son honestly, is to live this life with us."
"So it's a bouncing baby boy?"
"According to the doctor's better judgement, sure."
"I think it's a boy too. Feel it in my soul."

I just shake my head with a laugh passing my lips, we'll just have to see when the time comes, which we knew was just a few months away at this point. I was excited though, excited for him to be with us and us being out of this godforsaken gang. This money was gonna make it all happen. I just knew it.

"You still gonna come see us when we outta this gang, Sadie?"
"Sure am. Not just gonna leave y'all in the dust. You guys have been nothin' but the best of family to me."

We're riding off now but I couldn't help but smile at the thought of the family we did have that weren't even blood anymore. Nathan and I really did need this if I was honest, something true and pure like family. Aunt Sadie, Uncle Charles, Uncle Nathan, Aunt Abigail, and Uncle John, all of them, exactly who they'd be to my son. I would cherish these amazing people forever and I knew his Uncle Arthur would be looking down on him.
We wrap up the conversation for a while. Riding on down to Saint Denis. We knew of one very rich homestead, kind of on the outside but still far enough that if the law did catch wind, we'd be able to run outta town real quick. No doubt about it. Everything we stole tonight, we knew we'd get for a fair price over at the Fence.

Bandana's are on over our faces as we're hitching the horses just down the road upon some trees. Easy get away from all this if things went south. Sadie is pretty loud sometimes though and I was praying she would keep herself in check at the moment for I didn't want this blowing up in my face.
"Alright guys, we'll go in through the back. Been scoping this place out, they only seem to lock the front door but are foolish enough to not do the back."
"Bet they isn't expectin' no one to wanna come in through the back."
I nod my head in response to Nate before we give each other one last nod, crouching down and heading into the door. We're silent, but it does look like one of the residents is still awake at the moment. Just so happens to be the husband who is in his study, doing work. I can hear children upstairs running around, their mother coming after them and telling them to get ready for bed. It had to be about nine or so now, I hoped we could be outta here before eleven.
We begin to head throughout the house, sneaking past the man when he was distracted with something or he had his head turned. I was going to head up the stairs and see what I could find but I heard the children once more.
"Momma! Why does daddy always work?"
"Your father is a very busy man... He has to work to keep us goin'."
"But he just never is around or spends time with us."
"Don't you worry, he'll have time for us soon when all is said and done."
"I hope I'm not like daddy when I get older, I want to spend time with my kids and wife all the time!"

I back up from the steps now, a little bit of my heart strings  being tugged. Sadie looks like she's going to try before I stop her. "The hell are you doin', Sanders? There's probably more valuable stuff up there."
"Just leave the kids and wife to be. I think I'm gonna try to go for the big man of the house."

She looks me up and down in shock for the moment before nodding her head. I wasn't trying to go soft, but hearing that kid say he didn't wanna be like his pa when he got older, god, that was something I'd personally hope I'd hear from my son one day. Not wanting him to be like me at all.
I knew this man was going to say something when I walked in, I just needed to catch him when he did have his back turned to the safe he had behind his seat. Which he did pretty quickly before I walked in and closed the door behind me. Nathan and Sadie waiting outside just in case. I clear my throat before he snaps his head back and looks me over.
"W-Who are you?"
"Listen here--- I ain't here to hurt you okay?"
"That--- That doesn't answer my question."
"Ahhh... We don't really have time for questions now do we... I'm just here for some money, besides, why don't you tell me who you are?"
"Toby Ryan."
"Well then... Toby Ryan. How much money you got in that safe there?"
"A-A-A couple thousand why?"
"I need at least a thousand of that."
"But this is money saved for my children... For my family!"
"I got a family too, Toby. I do... I have a girl, she's with child currently. I need this money or else we're gonna be in a real bad way, now, if you would. You seem like you earn money all the time, Mr. Ryan."
"I do--- I just--- This---"
I finally have had enough of his bullshit and bring up my pistol to him. "Please, Mr. Ryan. Don't make me kill you, wouldn't want to spill your blood all over this nice wood floor and your wife and kids come on down here to see the mess their daddy is."
"Aren't you afraid that your--- Your future kid is going to look at you like you're a monster for this?"
He was trying to hit me where it hurt and I just shake my head as I step closer to him.
"Say something stupid one more time and---"
"Toby! Toby are you okay?"
I glare at him as I wait for his response and how he'd like to go about this. "Y-Yes, love. I'll be up in a short minute, just finishing some of my business."
"Okay, hurry up now, kids are waiting for you!"
"Hand over the money, Toby Ryan. Now."

The male looks shaken up before he finally sits there and hands over fifteen hundred. "Pleasure doin' business with you. Hope I never have to see you again, Mr. Ryan."

With that we're leaving now, as much as it pained me to take money from this man when it came to his children and all. But, I needed to provide for my family too. I'd get a real job when all was said and done, I just needed this money to really get everything over with.
"So, in total, how much you think we took?" Nathan questions before I look down at the money and all the gold and silver things taken. Antiques as well, perfect for selling and making mad money.
"Well, from the looks of this, almost twenty five hundred. Which does mean we're set for the future right now."
I reply with a smile before Nathan and I are jumping up and down for a moment. "Congrats, you guys. Hope you can all leave within the mornin'."
"We ain't gonna go just yet, Sadie. We'll wait till it's over with Dutch."
"Between you and I, Mr. Sanders... That's comin' soon. I just know it."

I wouldn't doubt Mrs. Adler for a moment. She knew what she was talking about, plain and simple. I knew she wasn't wrong either.
Dutch was slowly losing it and we were all just being dragged along at this point.