ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟹𝟻

The ride was pleasant headed up to Bacchus area near Donner falls. We got there just as the sun was setting on the day and I figured we'd have time to see Arthur, camp, and then head home and be back by the mid afternoon tomorrow. Little colder up here so I was glad we brought some good 'winter' gear in case we needed it. Horses are left near this weird little mountain house as Nathan and I are making our way up on foot. It was a hard hike up but we finally got there. Breathless of course, we knew being off of our usual adrenaline filled runs did mean that we weren't as fit as we used to be. My eyes are directed over to the stone cross, flowers surrounding the entire thing as an eagle takes off from the top of it.

Arthur Morgan
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness."

     It was a beautiful grave and it did make me think on who did bother to come up here when they realized Arthur had passed. Couldn't have been Sadie, she was off doing whatever she was doing right now. We knew she left when she took Abigail back to Tilly and Jack. If John was alive, I knew they fled already from this country. Charles? Well, perhaps. He always was close with Arthur from what I could tell. It would be nice of him to do so. "Think we need to say a few words to this man?" Nathan questions as I'm just looking this grave over for the moment. Guess it was crazy knowing that Arthur was really gone. It was more like the reality of it all. John might've not been dead, Sadie neither, but Arthur, I wished he was one of those people we could believe wasn't dead and gone and that it was just a rumor.
"Um--- Yeah. Guess we can say some stuff. Suppose."
"Then you say it, Ash. You're the one wearing the hat after all."

I knew it would be right to remove my hat in this moment, which I did. Knowing that it would look better without it anyway. Arthur's hat was what I wore most of the time. It made me feel like I was fulfilling the purpose that was supposed to be given to me when it came to the male, keeping my promise to him and still having some part of him with me as well.
"Ah... Mr. Morgan. Gonna be odd speaking to you and you not havin' something to say back to me. Somethin' full of wisdom and sarcasm all in the same sentence. Ya know, I said thank you a hell of a lot when we left you near Beaver Hollow. I guess I might as well say it again now. You've done so much for myself and my family. Selina--- She's doin' great. Baby is comin' here soon and I know if you was here, you'd be tellin' her to rest and she wouldn't listen. Just like how she don't listen to me. She always has to be doin' something, even if she's 'bout to go into labor any day now. Nathan, he's here too obviously. Grateful for you as well, he lives on our ranch with his wife. Know we always said he was gonna get tied down at some point and here he is." I look back at the other who's just chuckling away. "I don't know if it was you who cleared our bounties before you died. But know we're grateful, saved us so much money. We still got some too, while Nathan over here has become a journalist. I've been working as a ranch hand and doing some writing, Selina, she's taking photos. We all seem to have found our purpose. All thanks to you, Arthur. I hope my boy can live up to your name. I guess... I'll wrap this up. But--- Thank you again, Mr. Morgan. Thank you. Rest easy, partner, brother... Everything we ever asked for. Wish you were here."
I place the hat back upon my head before Nathan gives me a smile, I'm walking back and he pats me on my shoulder. "Nice shit you said there, brother. Nice shit." I nod my head, only hoping I did justice for the man who saved our lives a few months back. "Well, I'd say we head back down, then go stay in the famous Valentine hotel. Where you and Selina first met. You ain't been there since huh?"
I shook my head as we're both trying not to slip down. "Our entire lives with Dutch was all about not looking back, I got Selina outta Valentine and the next thing I know we're runnin' off to Lemoyne. But, I guess it is a little sentimental to go back there."
"You ain't ever told me the story 'bout what happened after Arthur and I left you two?"
"I'll tell ya on the way there."
We get onto our horses and we begin riding off to Valentine.

"And then she told me I should go take care of myself and that I knew what it meant." Nathan and I were laughing all the way as I told him about mine and Selina's first encounter. "Damn, your son could've been conceived a hell of a lot sooner if you weren't such a sour puss and a gentleman as you was back then."
"Shut up you fucker, I just thought it would be better to get to know her."
"'Cause you was sweet on her from the moment you saw her. Know you was."
"Yeah, she was a bit of a better fuck than Sadie was."
Nathan looks at me surprised with a small laugh passing his lips. "Tell me 'bout Sadie man. Just wanna remember that fling you had."
We enter the hotel and I'm quick to rent us a couple rooms before I look the male over for a moment. "Alright, I'll tell you once we get up to the room okay? You stay till it's over and then you go to your own." He nods in an understanding manner before we're headed up into my room. We sit on the bed before I begin to tell the long story, well, sorta long story about my relationship with Mrs. Adler.
"So we found Sadie up when we was in Colter. Remember? Her ranch was burnt down by the O'Driscolls?"
"Yeah, I remember she came with you guys afterwards, she was all shaken up and stuff."
"Well, I spent some time with her, comforting her, making sure she was okay. Then... She got this strange look in her eyes one night. I remember I was walkin' past her cabin and she opens the door a little and I'm lookin' at her and I'm a bit confused. She goes 'Mr. Sanders... I need you.' So I'm thinkin' okay, I'll come on in. This girl starts taking off her clothes, I didn't know what to do so I just stared at her before she comes up to me, puts my damn hand on her breast and whispers that she wanted me to make love to her. Why, ya know how I was back then. Wasn't gonna leave this girl hanging. So I agreed. We had a walk down Cupid's alley way that night, made sure I didn't make a mistake though. Woke up the next morning in a daze, realized what I had done and left her. Time we got to Horseshoe, she came up to me one night, tells me she needs me again and we slept together. Left just before the sun came up to my own tent. Later on, she tells me how she regrets what we did, she only cares 'bout her husband and we're never gonna do it again. Then we did for the last time before I met Sel a few days later."
"That story was wild from beginning to end but I get it. Know Sadie was a little sweet on you back then, she got over it quick as hell when you met Selina."
"I knew I was nothing but a backdrop for her. Hurt to know, but we're more brother and sister now than lovers. We don't speak on it, don't think on it, don't even wanna look back on it. Shit happens, we don't regret it—- least I don't."
"You ever think on the future if it was Sadie and not Selina?"
"I used to. Now I obviously don't. Think we wouldn't get together for a couple years. She'd be too focused on herself and healing from losin' her husband. I feel like we'd be in the same position as Selina and I are now but in a different sense."
"Guess I could see it too. Well, least you are where you are now. Selina is close to havin' your first kid, you're doin' good in life with this nice house. Maybe one day Sadie'll popup again and we'll get to spend time together like old times."
"Maybe so. We'll see. Wrapping it up though, bud. I'll see you tomorrow morning."