ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟷𝟿

Lakay, 1899

It's hard to say what will come of all of us nowadays. I feel as though I've accepted the fate that myself and Selina will never be free of the hands of this gang. Never in a million years. Death will come knocking on our door and we'll see it fit to just die. I guess maybe I should let my negative thoughts go away. But, as of right now, I just don't see the brightest future. Arthur... God, I think that man is sick with something too. Something he could've caught in that country he was in. I don't know. I just hope he ends up being okay. Wonder when I'll find the time to write again. Ya know also, never given too much thought on how I would die, but if I had to take a wild guess. It would be at the hands of Dutch van der Linde. Selina though, she has the world within her eyes most days. That glow on her. Something with her being pregnant I bet. She's full of life, literally. It's almost beautiful. Think that's the only good thing in my life right now, only good thing---

I hear some other gang members shouting, quick to place my journal back within my horse's saddle bag before I take note of some lights which are heading to our area. "Pinkertons! Fuckin' Pinkertons!" I hear Sadie shout before the shooting begins. "Fuck me... Fuck me..." I mutter before hitting the back of Luka so he can take off running somewhere else. I couldn't bear to have anything happen to anyone, especially Sel. But, without much warning, this girl has her gun within her hands and even she is trying to shoot them dead. "Selina! Try to get the hell outta here. You're the most precious! Just get goin'!"
"You think I'm gonna be leavin' you behind! Not yet I'm not! Almost lost you once, Asher. Not again!"
"Selina--- You stubborn son of a bitch! Start movin'!"

She only shakes her head and when the fire bottles start coming out quickly one of the shacks is set on fire. It's short lived with the rain that comes in and all of us are fighting our way through it. Selina seems to quickly realize how unfortunate this situation is and is quick to hide off with the other woman. I knew that girl had an ounce of common sense still within those bones of hers. We're shooting and shooting and shooting and suddenly, these motherfuckers bring in a gatling gun and we know that could mean the end of us. Arthur thankfully disables them before the shooting gets too aggressive and the next thing I know. I've got someone with a gun to my head. "Now don't you start shoutin' boy. You gonna get a bullet to your head and I think the last thing you'd want is your woman to see you die."
"Agent Moran. Thanks for being so kind as to spare me so my girl doesn't have to see me." I look over a bit and Dutch is watching me. I'm expecting him to say something, but nothing, he just watches as this Pinkerton is leading me away forcefully. "Asher!" Sadie shouts as she begins to shoot, even her own eyes wander over to Dutch who isn't even shooting, just acting as if he can't see what is happening in this very moment. I realized that Dutch wasn't even close to faithful to me right now. Not remotely close. "Dutch! Ain't you gonna shoot the fellers! They got Asher!"
"What's that now?"
"Don't you go actin' like you can't see Dutch! They got the boy! He only just got outta bein' in a deep sleep and now--- They're takin' him again!"

The rest of the shooting seems to stop as they're running off with me in tow. I knew that this all meant I was a goner and without much hesitation. They smack me within my head and I'm out like a light.

~ The Next Day - Sadie Adler POV ~

Dutch had it out for that poor fellow Asher. I wouldn't doubt that he did. He watched him get taken away, even with the knowledge that his girl is with child and yet he still sat there and watched him be kidnapped by those Pinkertons. I guess in many ways, I wouldn't know how to handle this. Being married once though, I know what this girl is feeling. She cried for a bit, got over it, then cried more, knowing the father of that child would probably be hung within the week. Abigail tried her best to help her out with her own husband being gone, but me? I couldn't just let something like this happen and not do nothing about it. I lost my husband to those goddamn O'Driscolls. I couldn't bear to watch Selina go through the loss of the man who was giving her a child and who I knew that she loved more than life itself right now.
I marched straight up to the cabin that Dutch was staying in, pounding on the door without much hesitation. Miss Grimshaw and Pearson are busy packing up while Dutch is still trying to figure out a plan on how we're going to get money to leave to this Tahiti place.
"Dutch, we need to talk!"
He didn't answer right away, I had a feeling that he knew exactly why I was at his door at nearly the ass crack of dawn. This was all his own doing. "Dutch! Come out here, now!" Everyone seems to have their eyes on me now, Arthur is leaning against the small piler his cabin has.
When Dutch does open the door, there's no bad looks but he is giving me his signature smirk.

"Mrs. Adler, what seems to be the trouble?"
"You, Dutch. You're the problem right now. Last night, what the hell was that about?"
"What was what about? Do expl---"
"Dutch, don't you play dumb. The boy, Asher. You let those goddamn Pinkertons take him and you know it. You watched them sons of bitches take him. I saw you."
"Mrs. Adler, you must be stressed. Lettin' the heat get to ya. 'Cause I did no such thing."
"You did, Dutch. You sure as hell did. You watched them take that damn boy and ride off with 'em, they're gonna hang him ya know?"
"Asher, can handle himself."
"I doubt that. He's just a kid whose life was turned all sorts of upside down and you knew it."
"And he came along with me. Mrs. Adler, if you're so damn concerned about Asher and where he's been taken. Then you go after him yourself. Get yourself into trouble and I can assure you, no one here will come lookin' for you."
"Is that a threat, Dutch?"
"Sure as hell is."
"Fuckin' ridiculous how you'd let a poor kid like that, one whose havin' a kid with his girl over there swing because you ain't got no self respect to admit that you did nothing to help one of your so called 'sons'! I know it Dutch, I know men like you."
"Enough! Get the hell outta my sight and go get that goddamn boy so you stop botherin' me!"

I was waiting at that moment for him to turn his gun on me or someone. But my loyalty was never questioned, but I know I probably looked like the stupidest son of a bitch here right now. "I sure as hell will, Dutch. You watch."
I turn to leave before Abigail stops me.
"I'll come with you."
"Abigail, come on. You don't need that trouble."
"Asher is like a son to me--- Or at least a nice younger brother. I'll do anything to get him back safe to Selina. Besides, sure she'd like to brush up on her motherin' skills while watching Jack." I couldn't deny her that right. I just nod and let her get onto my horse with me.