A Truth Within a Lie

(For best effect, listen to both videos when indicated by the second video in the story.)

After beating Nanu at the Grand Trial and getting the Darkium Z crystal, you and Zora managed to grab a boat to Poni Island and get to Seafolk Village. Almost as soon as you landed, you started asking around where the next trial was. To your annoyance, the next one was in a canyon called Vast Poni Canyon. Thankfully, this one didn't have a captain to wait on. The way through to the trial was annoying, having to either battle another trainer, or another Pokémon every fifty steps. When you eventually got there, the trial was surprisingly easy thanks to Glaceon and Mawile. Type: Null was still intimidating, but at least you were getting more comfortable with him during battles. After claiming the Dragonium Z, you went out of the canyon. The moon was high in the sky, emitting light that shone on the ground. After making a quick stop to the Pokémn Center in Seafolk Village, you went east, sticking as much to the shadows to avoid anyone, or any Pokémon from seeing you or Zora. It was easier for Zora than it was for you. Not only did her fur camouflage her in the dark, she was more agile than you, slipping into places faster than you could.

After slipping through to the entrance of Poni Grove, Zora extended her arm and stopped you from moving forward. The two of you were behind some trees and bushes, hidden from the main road. However, you soon saw why Zora had stopped you. There was someone standing at the entrance to Poni Grove. He just seemed to be standing there, almost like he was looking for someone. For a second, you thought it might have been Jarom, but then you quickly shot it down. The moonlight illuminated some of his features. Everything he wore was black, but his exposed skin from how much the clothes lacked to cover gave him away. Zora turned back to you. You didn't need any sort of message for this one. You nodded, and Zora took you to an alternate path, getting some distance behind the man. You were already starting to get a grim feeling. You had a feeling that the person standing at the entrance was not human. What if they had tracked you and you didn't know? You pushed out the thought, trying your best to keep up with Zora.

After shuffling slowly through some tall grass, you and Zora had managed to sneak past the sentry, moving further east until you got to the entrance of Poni Meadow. Zora took a peek out from a bush while you stuck close behind her. You constantly looked around, making sure that you were not being followed.

"I don't think this is a good idea anymore Zora." You said. "He's gonna be asleep, wouldn't it be better to wait until morning to try and find him?"

"Well, we can't exactly go back." Zora said. "That guy was definitely not human, I could tell by how he was acting." She pulled her head back in and turned to face you. "The best thing we can do right now is find a spot that they wouldn't think to look and wait there until morning." You gave a sigh, letting your head droop a little. Zora put her claw under your chin and raised your head up. "Hey, don't worry about it, I'll make sure that no one spots us." You smiled faintly, then brushed the side of her face, feeling her fur. This was so like Zora. She was mischievous, sure, but she was more kind than she would ever admit.

"Alright." You said. "Let's go." Zora guided you into Poni Plains, then after finding a good spot, you and Zora climbed up above Poni Meadow, getting over a ledge and finding a nice spot to hide out for the night. You helped to keep you and Zora camouflaged by getting some branches and hanging them just high enough to cover you while not being on top of you. The both of you got close together to keep yourselves warm during the night.

"Go ahead and sleep (Y/n)." Zora said. "I'll keep watch." Even as she said that, she let out a yawn. You knew this wasn't going to work out well, and you really didn't want her to worry about you, or you to worry about her.

"Zora, you need your sleep." You said. Zora rubbed the top of your head, smiling.

"(Y/n), we both can't fall asleep." Zora said. "It's too risky." You thought for a minute. Your mind was going blank from how tired you were getting. Then, one of your pokéballs started shaking. Before you could fully recognize it, it popped open, letting Noivern out. When he came out, he looked and saw you and Zora lying down on the ground. You suddenly realized how Zora was holding, or rather, cradling you. You felt yourself blush a little, but all Noivern did was put a claw to his mouth.