Chapter 18

Natalie's P.O.V

3 Days Later

It's been 3 days since we arrived in Cleveland. Everything has been going great, except for the fact that I have been suffering from the worst morning sickness ever. I mean it horrible, it feels like I am throwing up my intestines. But after talking to Dr. Wayland, I am completely okay with it, because she says it is super natural. Chris has been busier than we would have expected, and we don't get to spend much time together at all. Not that I thought we would, because with all honesty I didn't think we would be able to. 

I had just stepped into the shower, when my phone started incessantly ringing. I quickly back tracked and got out running to pick up my phone. "Hello?" I asked almost breathlessly.

"Natalie, it's your mother." My mom stated with an almost sad tone to her voice, I knew then because it wasn't her usual snarky tone, that something must be seriously wrong.

"What's wrong? Layne? Brock? Dad? You?" I asked clearly beginning to get scared.

"Natalie, I want you to sit down." She said over the phone, then I started to think of all the possibilities.

"Okay, just please tell me what it is, you are really scaring me." I replied. 

"Is Chris there?" She asked, again another question, now I am convinced she is ignoring me.

"Yes, he is in the living room, why?" I asked in reply.

"You probably need to go get him." My mom stated with the same sad tone, it never changed. I yelled for Chris and he quickly came to my aid.

"What is it?" He asked looking me over with a questioning glance.

"I don't know, but please stay with me." I replied with a frown.

"Alright, Mom you need to tell me." I said with a stern-like tone.

"Natalie, brace yourself." My mom replied.

"Mom please quit avoiding the subject, and please just tell me what is going on." I said raising my voice, clearly agitated.

"It's your father, he went to a routine check-up and they found some cancer, and t-they gave h-him 3-3 months to live." Once my mother finally answered my question, I immediately wished that she hadn't.

"What do you mean?" I asked, sobs pouring from my body.

"You probably need to come see him." My mother stated.

"I'm in Cleveland." I replied, but almost immediately regretted it.

"Isn't your father more important than some city?" My mother asked with weak snarkiness.

"Of course, I'll be home on the next flight." I said, and with that hung up the phone.

"Where are you going?" Chris asked with a sad frown.

"I have to go home, my dad has cancer and they gave him three months to live." I replied, sobs once again consuming my body.

Chris engulfed me in a tight, comforting hug. He rubbed my hair in a comforting way as we sat down on the bed. "It'll be okay, I'm coming with you." He said, and then gave me a kiss.

"No, Chris you can't come, it will throw the movie off, and I can't let you do that." I replied with a stern tone to my voice.

"But, I can't let you go alone." Chris argued.

"You will let me go alone, I'll be fine." I stated, allowing no more argument.

Soon after, I was once again on a flight home. This time instead of going to sleep, I kept wide wake, clearly scared of what I was about to see. Every time I would try to forget about the situation, reality had a way of catching up to me, and rubbing everything in my face. Reality was really scary and it hurt me to realize that my Dad could leave us at any time. Not to mention I was pregnant with twins that he would most likely never get to meet, and by the time it was time for me to walk down the aisle he wouldn't be able to lead me, or have the father-daughter dance with me. 

For the nonstop hour and 55 minute flight, all I could do was contemplate the situation. I tried not to, but the situation kept gnawing at me, in a way that I couldn't stop. 

As soon as the flight landed, I quickly called Hannah to come and pick me up from the airport. "Hannah, can you please come get me at the airport?" I asked through the phone.

"Yeah, sure be there in 10." Hannah said, and then hung up.

I waited in the waiting area for what seemed like forever, until I saw Hannah's car pull up outside the front entrance. I speed walked out of the airport, and briskly  got into her car. "Where is Chris?" Hannah asked with a confused look upon her face.

"He is in Cleveland, I had to come home for an emergency." I stated shortly.

"What kind of emergency?" Hannah asked with an inquisitive tone to her voice.

"No time for an explanation, please just take me to my apartment." I said with a frown.

Once we arrived outside of my apartment, I collected my bag from her backseat and quickly went inside. I left my bag in the garage, and quickly got into my car, and hit  the highway towards Cape Cod, having no clue at all about what laid ahead when I got to my parents' house.