Chapter 1

*Story will take place a few years after the wedding making Essence about 25 years old. And probably just a year or so before Curves. May change but so far that's the idea timeline.*

*

*

Essence

"It seems every time I see you you get thicker," Kayla said over FaceTime.

"Don't say that," I whined. "This thick is enough okay?!"

"I thought you wanted to be thick?" She giggled.

"That was before I knew how expensive it would be," I pouted. Being thick ain't no joke for real. It's a struggle finding pants that fit over your ass but isn't too big on your waist. And let's not forget the struggle of your legs rubbing and your clothes slowly tearing apart. I used to love shopping but now it's a pain.

"Isn't that what I told you all the time?"

"I don't recall," I pretended to think. She flicked me off making me laugh. "Where are my babies?"

"School girl. You should know that. They've been asking about you though. Don't get to see their Essy anymore."

"Awe, I miss them," I said sitting down in my living room. "I'm going to take a trip back home for real for real. But my clients keep fucking up. Dumb asses."

"I still can't believe your ass is a lawyer. You can't keep shit a secret."

"Girl fuck you," I laughed. "That is not true. I haven't spilled not a single thing about any of my clients. I just regularly call them dumb asses for the choices they make. If it was me I'd never get caught."

"I'm sure you wouldn't having being raised by that crazy family of yours."

"They're your family too so don't play." My other phone started ringing. "Of course when you speak of the devil he comes ringing. Work stuff so I'll talk to you later."

"Alright. My break is almost over anyway. Talk to you later."

"Jackson," I answered.

"I know today's your day off," my boss said. "But there's a new case and they requested you specifically."

"Okay so what's the case?"

"The matters on this particular case are very delicate and sensitive. It would be better if you came in so we can discuss matters further."

"Okay?" I got up and started putting on my shoes. "Who's the client?"

"That's something else we'll have to discuss when you come in. I'll see you when you get here."

"Hold on-" he hung up before I could stop him. Rude ass. My boss, Howard Stewart, was an old friend of my father's so he's basically like family. He tends to get paranoid when discussing sensitive cases over the phone. And if he's that paranoid that he can't even say the client's name means it's got to be something big. Something I normally don't go for but I'll humor him and the idea this time since I'm curious as to who this client could be.

I got in the taxi and hurried over to the office. I work for a pretty small law firm with only about six other lawyers there. But I like it a lot more than the lawyer corporation I was interning at some years ago. Sure it's hard getting good cases but I get to do what I love with less stress. Plus it pays the bills so who am I to complain? And I get more relaxation time working here than a corporation. My phone rang catching my attention. "Jackson," I answered.

"Where are you going?" he asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Nosy as fuck. I'm going to work because I got a new case."