Chapter 32

Essence 

Thanksgiving dinner was...a lot. All the girls were mostly sympathetic to me because of the trauma I went through. But my brothers and dad were a bit standoff-ish with me for keeping it a secret so long. Andre and my dad couldn't even look at me when I left. Demetrius told me they needed time to process it and I've tried being understanding. I get it's a lot my fault. I had plenty of chances and opportunities to tell them what happened and I didn't. I did the same thing Mickey did so I get why they're upset. Doesn't hurt any less though. 

"Stop pouting already princess," Meechie said.

"You can't even see me. How do you know I'm pouting?"

"Because I know you. You're brothers still haven't called?"

"No," I muttered. It's been almost a week and I normally get a call from one of them everyday. It's mostly Jules and Andre the big worriers who calls me all the time. Shawn'll call maybe every couple of days just to catch up and check on me. He has a bit more faith in me than the rest but even he hasn't called since Thanksgiving. "They hate me," I sniffed and felt myself tearing up. 

"Don't cry princess," he said while mixing up. "I'm coming to get you."

"No I'm fine," I said. "I have court. Doing work will get my mind off of things."

"I'm still coming. I'll take you out somewhere alright?"

"Okay," I sighed. "Thanks Meechie."

"Anytime princess."

"Jackson." I turned and saw Frock headed my way. And weird enough he was almost smiling.

"I'll call you back." I hung up the phone quickly and took the airpods out. Demetrius got them for me saying I needed to 'keep up with the times' or whatever. Handsome jerk face. "Judge Frock," I smiled. "Nice to see you."

"Same," he mirrored my smile. "I just want to thank you for what you did for that kid. I knew my gut was right about you." Shortly after the holidays I was scheduled to handle that kid's case he asked me about and the kid merely has to do some community service. It wasn't a hard case to beat but public defenders normally have fifteen cases back to back and are too overwhelmed to dish out any real defense. 

"It's no problem really. Glad I could help."

"I have court in a few minutes but I'm glad to have run into you. Here's the money I owe."

"Don't," I said. "Think of it as a favor."

"Heart of gold. That's good. Don't ever let anyone taint it. And as a way of me repaying that favor, take the money." I sighed and accepted the check. "Just because you're doing something from the heart doesn't mean it has to come out of your pockets. Remember that. Don't want anyone thinking you're soft."

I scuffed. "I honestly don't care what people think of me." A select few I do care about though. 

"You should. Unfortunately, others opinions of you are what pays the bills." I nodded, that is true to some degree. "If you're free I would like to speak to you for a moment."

"Sure. I'll walk you to court."

"Thanks. I heard about the troubles you had during school and the unflattery rumors about you."

"Oh yeah?" Not surprised. Many people heard and scrutinize me to this day. 

"Yes. I don't believe a word of them." I looked at him in surprise. "I've been in this business a long time. I've been screwed over before and trusted the wrong people. It makes you weary to trust the right ones. Don't let what happened weaken your resolve. I know you're very intelligent by the way you handle yourself and your cases in court. You take special care to prepare for each one. You have a high success rate and I can see you taking off in your career. No matter the case, big or small, you give it everything you've got. You actually care about people and that goes a long way."