Chapter 18

Essence 

This court proceeding wasn't as successful as others. There was just too much evidence against my client. To be completely honest I had serious doubts about his innocence as well but I'm paid to give him the best representation and that's what I did. As I came out I was met with the family asking about the possibility of a retrial. They are one of those types that refuse to believe their family could do such things and will not stand for 'injustice'. These are the clients I loathed the most since they always blame the lawyer for not giving 'adequate' defense. 

While I looked around ignoring this woman I could have sworn I saw Demetrius. I had to do a double take and actually look and saw it really was him. My heart raced nervously for some reason. I hadn't seen him in two weeks and to have him right there in front of me was like an overload of emotions. He looked generally the same, I don't know why I thought he wouldn't. As I continued to stare at him in complete disbelief I noticed him and Jermaine were talking. That's strange considering the two obviously don't like each other. I couldn't help but wonder what they were talking about.

"Excuse me," the woman said with an attitude. "Are you even listening to me?"

I was irritated with this woman but smiled easily. "I'm sorry ma'am. I'm currently crunching the numbers in my head and pursuing this any further will be VERY expensive. If I pull out every available resource in my arsenal and then be able to obtain a new court date takes time. Weeks of waiting. Most appeals get rejected several times without new evidence. Will you be able to pay for all the fees?" 

"Are you insinuating we're poor?"

"No. I'm insinuating your son got off easy. Instead of trying to bail him out and put yourself in debt for him let him reflect on his actions. Five years in prison won't kill him. If he's good he'll be out on good behavior. You already mortgaged your home. Don't lose everything you have for a minimal to no chance of a different outcome." Most clients hate being told what to do so I'm sure she'll have a lot to say about me. Not that I cared. I don't have time to waste on such a case. Everything shows her son broke in the apartment. Eye witnesses, DNA evidence/fingerprints, an alibi that didn't match up. I tried convincing the idiot to take the plea of one year in prison and another of probation when he gets out but he decided to listen to his mom instead of his lawyer and went to court. Wasted everyone's time.

As I gravitated away from the old woman Nick came up to me. I almost forgot our lunch plans. I forced a smile as he gave me the options. Nick, aka Dr. James, is actually a very nice man. Funny in a quirky dorky way. Pretty laid back mostly. We've went on a few successful dates already. He's mature and considerate, successful. But for some reason, something feels weird. Off. Missing even. And I hate that I can't point out what. He's the guy that I've wanted and yet I can't seem to feel anything. No spark or anything. It's not like he's boring or anything. He's just...not as appealing as I thought? But at the same time I don't want to end things because I'm not even sure how to do that. Like I said he's not boring to say. We've had some very fun and interesting dates. We've been bowling, skating, even dancing. But I couldn't relax enough to fully enjoy it and something just felt off. 

I glanced away and noticed Demetrius was now leaving the courthouse. I watched in confusion. What did I miss? Did he come here to solely talk to Jermaine? Why though? Did he not see me? Was I not the reason he came here? I furrowed my eyes as I questioned myself some more. Why do I even care? I was nothing more than a game for him so I shouldn't care right? It's not like I really care care to say. I guess I'm just worried because he's not the type to just walk away. Is he upset about something? Is it me? Is that why he isn't his usual clingy self?

"Essence?" I blinked as a hand waved in my face. I looked up and it was Nick looking at me weird. "Are you okay?"

"Uh yes? Sorry, long day. What were you saying?"