Chapter 2

Essence

I pulled up to the house kind of surprised at how urban it looked. I expected a gold plated mansion with a thousand cars in the yard. It was big and stylish but nothing how I expected. Almost like some middle class citizens lived here and not potentially dangerous drug lords. I paid my fare and got out of the car. 

I sighed nervously as I knocked on the door. I kept telling myself I'm a legal consultant and to not worry about anything. The door opened and a tall buff man who didn't look much older than me stood in the threshold. He had a nice full beard and even fuller lips. He was fine as hell. He looked me up and down before a small smirked played across his face. "I see," he said stepping to the side. "Not bad."

"Excuse me?" I narrowed my eyes at him. 

He chuckled softly. "Nothing sweetheart. Come on in. We were waiting on you to show up." I slowly stepped in wearily. The place was set up nicely I had to admit. The door closed behind me and the guy came around me. 

"I didn't accept the job," I said before he could say anything. "I'm only here as a legal consultant and to weigh my options. This isn't my cup of tea but I'm willing to lend an ear and offer advice if need be."

He raised his brow to me. "Is that so?" He smirked once again. "Interesting." He walked to the couch and sat down. "Have a seat then." I sat on the far side of the couch. "First off, I think it's time we introduce each other. My name's Adrian but you can call me AJ. My brother Bryson should be joining us shortly." I nodded as another tall and fine brother walked into the room. His arms were littered with tattoos. 

"This her?" He asked walking towards AJ and looking me up and down. He smirked to himself. "I see."

"Same thing I said," AJ chuckled. 

"Excuse me," I glared at them. "But what do you 'see'?"

"Nothing to worry about sweetheart," Bryson took a seat. "Let's get started about you representing our brother."

"She's not here to represent him," AJ said. "She's a legal consultant right now."

"Really? Five times your regular payout isn't enough for you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Money isn't the problem. This case seems a bit TOO easy for such a huge profit. I came here to get the scoop and offer my advice."

"But not your legal representation? You're one tough cookie to crack."

"Maybe hearing some of the details will help you decide," AJ smiled. These two are weird as hell. But I already said I'd listen and offer advice. "I'm sure Stewart already told you what the case is about?"

"Yes," I nodded. "But it seems a bit too easy for you to pay so much for my representation."

"Yeah well the case isn't as 'easy' as you think," Bryson said. "The prosecution is tricky. They've had it out for our family for a very long time and the person handling the case is...difficult."

"Okay?" I said. "By difficult you mean?"

"He doesn't always play by the rules," AJ said. "He finds any and every way to lock up our people. He's cutthroat and ruthless. Been after our family for a while. Our brother is wild but he isn't dumb. We think it was a set up."

"Even if the prosecution set the whole thing up there's no evidence and the most your brother could get is probation or even a year or two."

"That's what we thought too but we think our lawyer is working both sides," Bryson said. "We need someone who won't be swayed to the prosecution's side. And Trap thinks you're the perfect person."

"Pause. Did you say Trap?" 

"Yes," AJ smirked. "Finally remember us?"

"Fuck," I whispered under my breath. I must be really slow to not realize this sooner. No wonder why they asked for me specifically. And why the name Haynes was familiar to me. We all used to live near each other. The Haynes boys were only in Atlanta for like a year but I remember them. Demetrius was in my class and he was annoying as fuck. He used to make it his driving force to drive me insane. "I forgot y'all are originally from New York."

"Yup. Nice to see you too 'princess'," Bryson snickered as I threw daggers at him. "So it's safe to assume you'll be representing our little brother?"

"Yeah," I grumbled standing up. "Where is he? I'm going to have to speak to my client."

"We'll take you there. We have work to do anyways." I followed them to their car and we headed off. "How's Andre crazy ass?" AJ chuckled. Him and Andre should be about the same age if I remember correctly. 

"Still crazy," I said. "Married with kids now though."

"So there was someone out there strong enough to deal with him," AJ chuckled. "Heard he took over your pops business. Hope things are well with that."

"They are." 

Things with Demetrius and I were always tense since he found it funny to mess with me all the time but Andre and Shawn both were cool with AJ and Bryson. I think they used to hang out and stuff too before Andre left for school out of state. I was mostly upset because that meant I had to deal with Demetrius on my own. But thankfully he moved not too long after Andre. He also helped me out so I owe him big for what he did. Unfortunately it's similar to owing a debt to the devil himself. 

The guys dropped me off and headed to wherever they needed to go. I stood outside the building for a second, contemplating whether or not I really wanted to go in. Demetrius was a real shit head when we were in school and if possible I'd rather not face him ever again. But I know the only reason he asked for me is because he knew I'd say yes. I hate owing people things. If he hadn't asked for me I'd probably go through life forgetting that I even owe him anything. 

But now that I do know there's no going back. I took in a deep breath and headed up the stairs. It took a while to process me in. Since I wasn't in my normal attire they had to look me up to make sure I was lawyer. I wasn't surprised when he had me listed down already as a visitor. Proof that he knew I wouldn't say no. As I waited for them to bring him I mentally prepared myself. I needed to be professional and not let his asshole ways rile me up. I get him off on these charges and that's it. My debt would be paid and I didn't have to worry about him anymore. 

"Princess, you came!" I could hear the smugness in his voice. Starting already I see. I took in a deep breath and prayed the lord would give me the strength to not kill him and be the one wearing the orange jumpsuit. 

Second chapter! Hope you enjoy!