Chapter 10

Essence 

I rolled my eyes at the fifth nurse who's tried to hit on my brother. I go through this all the time with him. "Bitch if you don't get the hell out of his face," I gritted. "He's married hoe. Don't you see the damn ring on his finger?" The nurse mugged me before leaving. "You're not coming to my doctor's appointments anymore. Tired of beating down the horny bitches."

"Not my fault women like what they can't have," he shrugged. 

"Next time I'm going to call Kayla so she can deal with it," I mumbled. He mushed my head making me laugh. We talked some more until the same fine ass doctor came in. 

"Welcome back Miss Jackson," he smiled warmly at me. I mirrored his smile. "And this is-?"

"Her brother," Andre narrowed his eyes at the doctor. 

"Oh it's nice to meet you. I'm Doctor James." He held his hand out to Andre who just looked at him before giving him a short hand shake. "So I'm assuming the other gentleman won't be joining us today?"

I could feel Andre staring into the side of my face making me blush nervously. "Er...no. Anyways, how's my foot looking doc?"

"Well let's see." He started examining my foot and moving it every which way. It hurt a hell of a lot but I tried grinning and baring it. Andre mugged the doctor like it's his fault. "Seems to me it isn't getting much better. Have you been doing much walking?"

"Just in court."

"Well, I suggest you take this weekend off and focus on elevating it. Do not move unless it's completely necessary and unavoidable. Use cold and warm compression to help the pain and swelling go down. But also try stretches so your foot won't be so tense."

"Okay," I sighed. Good thing it's just Thursday so I won't miss out on too much work. The only thing I really have to do is paperwork so it should be easy. 

"I'll be back," Andre said getting up and going outside while on his phone. 

"Your brother," the doctor said typing away on his computer. "Seems to care about you a lot. He looked ready to take my head off when I was touching you."

"Yeah he has some protective issues," I muttered. 

"Like the guy from the other night right? Is he your brother too?"

"No. Just a...an acquaintance? He kind of helped me out so-"

"I see," he said. "An acquaintance who gets that protective over you?"

"He's weird so...and I meant to apologize for his rude attitude that night. We were both just kind of tired and a bit wound up from the shooting and stuff."

He chuckled. "No need to apologize. I am a man myself so I get it. Feeling threatened by another man when it comes to a beautiful woman such as yourself."

I blushed and rubbed my neck nervously. "It's not like that," I mumbled. Why the hell does this man make me feel like I'm a little kid?

"Could've fooled me," he smiled at me and chuckled. Thankfully Andre came back in to stop this suffocating embarrassment. "Okay Miss Jackson I think we're all done here. I decided to write you a prescription for some better painkillers, use them in moderation. And I have you down for another appointment Tuesday to see if things get better."

"Okay." Andre helped me down and out the office after getting everything situated. "So-"

"I'm going to be here until Saturday so I'll be able to look out for you," he said. "While I'm there your ass isn't moving out of that bed." I sucked my teeth. I knew he was going to say that. "So who is this nigga that brought you to the hospital?"

"Huh?" I said nervously. Andre is the one brother I try to avoid when it comes to any men in my life. He's about ten times worse than my father and that's saying a lot. 

"If you can huh you can hear. Who was it?"

"Just some guy who helped-"

"Call him."

"What?! How do you know I even have his number?"

"Because I do. Now call him."

"What for?"  He pinched my side making me hiss. "Ouch! Alright man damn." We stopped for a moment so I can call Demetrius. 

"Tell him to meet us at the restaurant too."

I sucked my teeth. "I've gotta do all of that?" He gave me a look and I rolled my eyes. Now I'm really curious as to why I would miss him. He's the devil. Please don't answer Demetrius for the love that's all good do not answer the phone.

"Well isn't this a surprise," he answered. Of course he did. "And to what do I owe the pleasure of your call today?"

"Yeah hi uhm...are you busy? It's totally understandable if you are and if you are you can go back to-"

"I'm not busy. Do you need something?"

"Uh no well yes but um...ugh! Okay can you like meet me somewhere?"

"Where?" 

"Nowhere special. This restaurant but I get it if you can't make it-"

"Are you asking me out?" he laughed. I mugged Andre. He got me into this. "Never thought I'd live to see the day. Since you asked so nicely I'd love to go out with you."

"It's not a date you ass. Just meet us there." I hung up before he could say anything. I sent him the address of this restaurant me and Andre always go to when he's in town. "That was embarrassing as hell Andre."

"Not my fault you're awkward as hell. Could've just told him I wanted to meet the little nigga." I glared at his logic. Asshole. 

We got back into the rental and headed to the restaurant. Andre was filling me in on things with the family. Mom and dad haven't really been doing too much other than traveling and overseeing business. Shawn has been developing a new game so he's pretty busy and of course Jules is just Jules. And since I talk to my sisters almost everyday I'm already caught up with their lives. 

"That him?" Andre pointed to Demetrius who was standing outside of the restaurant. "I know that little nigga."

"Yeah. You used to hang with his brothers AJ and Bryson."

"Oh," he said recognizing him I guess. He got out and then helped me out. "Trap right?" he walked up to Demetrius. 

"Yeah?" He glanced at Andre and then at me. "Oh shit! It's you Andre. What's up man?" They did that weird dap hug shit most guys do. 

"Nothing much. How's your brothers? Crazy as hell still?"

"Not as crazy as you but yeah. AJ married now."

"And his ass swore he'd never get married," Andre chuckled. "But I'm glad you could make it. I wanted to meet the person who helped hard ass here when she got hurt."

"Shut up," I mugged him. 

Demetrius chuckled. "Yeah it ain't no biggy. She was in my club when it happened so it was my responsibility."

"Well thanks anyway. Come on and join us man. Lunch on me before my meeting." I sucked my teeth. I was kind of hoping Andre would drill him and give him the third degree a little bit. Not make a new best friend. Andre doesn't even like people to be this friendly. 

Tell me what you all think!