Chapter 7

Essence

It's my lazy day today. I've really become a homebody the older I get. I was in the living room setting myself up for a movie day when my work phone started ringing. I sighed and walked over towards it. Kind of hoping whoever it was would hang up before I got to it but luck wasn't on my side. "Jackson."

"Hello Miss Jackson, I'm calling from the DA's office-" Must be Watson's people. Only took them a few days to call. "-And we were hoping to have a meeting with you and your client."

"Is that so? When?"

"Today if it's not an inconvenience for you."

It is. "No inconvenience at all. Let me get in touch with my client and we can be there in, let's say one hour?"

"That'll be perfect. See you then." I did a little dance before dialing Demetrius's number off my work phone.

"Princess," he cheered immediately ruining my good mood with one word.

"Trap," I said. "I just got a call from the DA's office. They want to meet with us."

"About?"

"To talk about the birds and the bees what do you think?" I gritted my teeth. "Just get dressed or whatever it is you guys do and meet me to the courthouse."

"Yes Sargent!" I could feel him smirking through the phone. I hung up before I lost all my patience with him. I switched out my comfy clothes for work attire. I scheduled an Uber before I changed so once I was done they were already outside. I made sure I had everything I needed before leaving.

It wasn't too long before I made it to the courthouse. And for whatever reason Demetrius was outside by the steps doing something on his phone. My Uber stopped and I got out. "Thanks," I smiled at the man before getting out. "This meeting shouldn't take long so is there any chance you could wait out here for me?"

He smiled at me. "Of course beau-"

"No need," Demetrius said coming up to the car and closing the door. "Just keep it moving."

"Excuse you?" I mugged him as my driver drove away. "Why the fu-"

"Why didn't you drive?"

"Why the hell would I?" I eyed him crazily. "It's New York. I'm not about to go to jail for flipping someone's car in traffic. All this damn public transportation you bet your ass I'm going to use it. I hate driving. Not that what I do is any of your business."

"Don't do that Uber shit no more. Shit ain't safe. Should've just asked me for a ride."

"No thanks," I said going up the steps. I pulled out my phone to get another Uber but he snatched the phone out of my hand. "Demetrius I'm going to fuck you up," I gritted. "Give me my phone."

"Nope," he said sliding it into his pocket. I reached for it and he ended up grabbing my hand and holding it. I tried prying his hand off of mines but he wouldn't let go. I huffed in frustration while he smirked at me.

"Essence what a surprise." I turned and inwardly groaned. It was Erica, or better known as Judge Healie. I tried to subtly slide my hand out of his grip but Demetrius was not letting go. And judging from the way her eyes zeroed in on him and our joined hands told me it was too late. She smiled brightly at us. "A surprise indeed."

"This is not what it looks like," I said quickly. "He's holding my hand."

"But you're not letting go princess," Demetrius smirked.

"You won't let me!"

Erica chuckled. "He doesn't seem as insufferable as you claim huh?"

"Erica-"