Chapter 38

Essence

I laid on my cot shivering uncontrollably. I heard his footsteps growing closer with each step. I was nervous. I don't think my body is strong enough for this but I NEEDED to get away ASAP. I know my family knows about my absence by now. They have to. Everyone's been calling me everyday since we started talking again. But most importantly, I have to save Meechie. His trial starts in a few days and nine times out of ten, he'll be convicted.

He literally saved me from myself. I can't imagine my days without him. He's annoying yes, he works my nerves every chance he gets, he's stubborn and childish. But I don't think there's anyone else in the world I'd rather be stuck to then him. He made the bad days of the past seem like a foggy dream. He made me better. He broke down my walls as if they were nothing. He's seen me at my weakest and never cast judgement. I know we haven't been officially dating for long but...I think he deserves it. Deserves the love I was so afraid to give away for fear of being hurt.

I was knocked out of my thoughts as the locks on the door turned. I pictured the faces of the people I care about the most. The people who wanted me to make a safe return home. The people who make my life meaningful. And the person who makes me want to give love another try. The door opened and I shivered with nervousness. My grip tightened around the broken plastic spoon. I'm not even sure if I have the energy to swing it with enough force to do anything more than scratch him. I'm not even sure if this'll work. But I refuse to lie here and do nothing. I need to escape. Even if I have to risk my life to do it.

"I brought you some medicine," the guy said. "You're no good dead." I sat up slowly and watched as he knelt down to eye level with me. He was still wearing that ski mask. I looked into his eyes and hesitated at the genuine concern in them. He really doesn't want to hurt me. But he's standing in the way. "Take it." He handed me a small cup filled with liquid medicine. As if on cue, my body got a rush of adrenaline and I quickly and swiftly swung the weapon at him. I closed my eyes, afraid of what'll happen. "Ah!" He yelled out like a wounded animal. I peaked my eyes open and saw him running around the room frantically as the spoon poked out of his eyeball. "You bitch! You stupid fucking bitch! I'll kill you!"

"Ah!" I quickly dodged him as he charged at me. I dropped to the floor and quickly crawled to the door. To freedom. "No!" I yelled out as I felt him grab my foot and drag me back. I fought back but my body was weak from my sickness. He picked me up and slammed me against the wall. His hands wrapped around my throat and squeezed.

"You're dead!" He growled. I clawed at his hands but they did nothing to phase him. I stared into his uninjured eyes and saw the rage and intent to kill in them. As another boost of adrenaline pumped through my veins I dug my finger inside of his other eye. "Agh!" He yelled out letting go of me and holding both injured eyes. I dropped to the floor and crawled away again. I made it to the door this time. "You're dead!" he yelled while blindly trying to find the door. With as much strength as I could muster, I pushed the heavy door closed and locked it. The faint sounds of him still tearing up the place could just barely be heard.

My body shook as the adrenaline began wearing off. My head hurt, my throat was raw, and my body felt like lead. I pushed myself off of the door still and found just enough strength to walk. I used the walls to support my weight. Everything was spinning and my coughing wouldn't let up. Tears rolled down my face. I was not ready to give up but my body was. I had been sick for far too long. I escaped my prison but not my illness. It was doubling down on me like a brick house.

"Keep going," I told myself. It was hard to breathe. So hard. I found stairs and walked up them. It took so much effort to do something I did nearly everyday without breaking a sweat. "Help," I croaked. "Someone, anyone, help me." My vision was fading. I felt like I could pass out at any moment. "Please," I said as my knees buckled under me. Tears rolled down my face. "Meechie. You promised to protect me from everything. I need you."