Chapter 27

Essence

"What now?" I answered my phone.

"Girl who the hell are you talking to like that?" Demetrius asked.

"You. You're bugging right now. Why are you blowing me up?"

"Because your stubborn ass never texted me that you made it home." I rolled my eyes. He worries more than my brothers sometimes I swear. We had just got back from the Bahamas a few hours ago and I was so tired because we left really early and the jerk would not let me sleep. He had some business to handle so I went home to catch a nap. He made me promise to text him when I got home. It was the one time he didn't bitch and moan about me taking a taxi.

"I fell asleep and forgot. Sorry."

"I'm going to fuck you up Essence."

"Bye Trap." I hung up with a snicker. It's the one nickname he hates me using. So of course I have to call him it to annoy him.

Right now I was heading to the office. I still have another few days of vacation time but I was going to spend it catching up on a little paperwork. That, and Steward has no idea I'm back so now I can pop up and tell him about himself. The Uber pulled up to the office and I quickly hopped out. I walked in and saw the place busy at work like usual.

"Oh shoot, hey girl!" Laura smiled at me. "I thought you weren't gonna be back until Monday."

"I'm still technically on vacation but my girls and I decided it was time for us to come home."

"Awe that's good. You're absolutely glowing. Just three days in the Bahamas really lightened you up huh?" I smiled and nodded. She has no idea just how true that is. I think last night helped with my glow more than anything. Being able to finally open up about my dark depressing feelings helped more than I thought. "I'm still mad you didn't invite me."

"Sorry! It was a last minute thing. I promise next time I'll take you with us."

"I'm holding you to that. So what brings you by?"

"Steward in?"

"Office."

I smirked before walking in. Steward was on his phone when he saw me walk in. He froze for a second before dismissing whoever it was on the phone. "I thought you were gone for the week?"

"Yeah well I came back early. I should fuck you up and quit for running your mouth to my family."

"Sorry Es. Your brothers were worried about you, that's all. Besides, it's better I told them. You probably still would've been dating that dull ass doctor."

"So nobody liked him? Seriously? Sure he was married but he was a cool person."

"No one's cool if they lie about who they are. Besides, you didn't even like him. How do you expect everyone else to?"

"True," I sat down. "But I'd like to keep my life as my business. I'm twenty-five. I can take care of myself. I understand they worry about me but reporting everything I do isn't cool. I love you and working for you but if things keep going on the way they are I think I'll have to leave."

"I understand Essence. I've overstepped my boundaries far too much. I just know how it feels, being a father and an older brother myself. They just want what's best for you and the doctor wasn't it."

"I know. Now that that's settled-"

"Hold on. I'm glad you're here. Erica has something for you at the courthouse. You should swing by there to pick it up."

"Ugh! Fine." I went to my office first to pick up the files I need before catching another Uber. As I was riding Demetrius was texting me about a bunch of nonsense. I don't know what his problem is with Ubers but he's persistent with trying to get me to drive. I hate driving, it's mostly because of living in New York, and will take other modes of transportation. "Thanks," I said to the Uber driver before going up the steps. Why are there so many steps?