020

CHAPTER TWENTY:

CHAPTER TWENTY:

"marcie? can you hear me?" valack asked her.

"what do you want from me?" marcie asked.

"i want your help against the dread doctors. they ruined me. destroyed me. they drove me to obsession, consigned me to professional ridicule. people thought i was a monster when i was simply trying to open their eyes." valack said as marcie looked at him.

"now you want me to be your eyes." marcie said.

"you'll see things and hear things. things no one else can hear or see. you may not survive, but you might save the lives of your friends." valack said.

she saw him grab something and when he turned around, she saw him holding a mask, a mask like the dread doctors wear.

valack started to put metal things on both sides of marcie's head with a wire attached to both ends.

marcie looked up at the ceiling with tears in her eyes, she knew she was gonna die.

"we have to slow your mind first. there's too much activity in your brain. we have to get from a gamma wave to a theta." valack said as marcie groaned in pain from all the voices in her head.

"it's too loud. i can't." marcie told him.

"if i try the mask now it will kill you. you have to calm your mind. you understand what they've created." valack said.

"the beast." marcie said.

"the beast of gevaudan. an engineered version of it. but it's not yet fully grown. it's still bound to its host, the teenage chimera inside. and it still requires the dread doctors protection." valack said.

"damnatio memoriae." marcie said.

"that's right. the beast was a man first. a human killer in the late 1700s. the dread doctors are trying to get it to remember itself. to remember the man. when that happens, the teenager is gone." valack told her.

"this teenager, marcie, is the last genetic chimera. a young man or woman, maybe even someone you know. a success where theo and the others were failures." valack said.

"but we went through the list of genetic chimeras. there's no one else." marcie told him.

"there must be one you missed. another way they could have two sets of dna. if you could see the face of this teenager, discover it's identity, then your friends would have a fighting chance. the mask can help you see." valack said.

she jumped once she heard a thud at the door.

"marcie!" she heard stiles shout from the other side of the room.

the radio was starting to spark and the voices in marcie's head were so loud she let out a shriek.

"marcie!" stiles shouted again.