System V. System 2.3

Pleasing Start-Over Chapter 16: Arc 2 Part 3

Author: 橘子

______________________________________

Qiao Chen was surprised once he saw who arrived. However, it was only for a moment, and he finally understood why his teacher was acting so strangely. The newcomer sat down next to Caesar. The man had a warm and gentle temperament with a handsome appearance. Technically, this 'man' was a gher, and more specifically, this gher was the one who gave birth to Qiaoyi, Fionn. So he's my mother...

"I heard you and Jared split up." Fionn asked as he took note of his son's condition.

Qiao Chen wanted to speak, but decided against it. He figured that if he actually called out to his mom, the two would be too shocked. He couldn't act too different from the original Qiaoyi, so he ended up nodding in reply.

In the previous life, Qiaoyi had been unable to understand and accept his mother's remarriage. The mourning period after his father's death didn't even pass yet, but his mother had still left. He left him. From then on, he no longer called Fionn 'mom', just Mr. Fionn.

Qiaoyi was deeply hurt. He was a baby when his father died... Then his own mommy abandoned him. How could Qiaoyi no feel pain? How could he not feel the betrayal? The loneliness? The hurt?...

Therefore, every time Qiaoyi met up with Fionn, Qiaoyi treated him poorly. He did his best to viciously insult and try to humiliate Fionn. All his pain and suffering was redirected to this 'monster' who abandoned his father. This 'beast' who'd even abandon their own child...

"Are you... I mean, um have you fully recovered from your injuries?" Fionn asked carefully. He knew about Qiaoyi's injuries. He visited him a couple of times too, but he only visited when Qiaoyi was unconscious. He didn't dare and show up while Qiaoyi was awake. Fionn was scared of provoking Qiaoyi's anger and over stimulating him- therein disturbing Qiaoyi's recovery.

Fionn happened to accompany his husband while he handled some work affairs at the school today. He wanted to drop by and chat with Caesar while they were here. Unexpectedly, Qiaoyi was there as well. So even though Fionn knew that Qiaoyi usually disliked him, he still didn't want to miss the chance of seeing his own child. Not only did he want to check on whether Qiaoyi recovered fully, but he also wanted to check on Qiaoyi's emotional state after breaking up with Jared.

"I've already recovered well enough." Qiao Chen replied as he observed Fionn's cautious demeanor. Qiao Chen felt an abrupt trace of bitter sadness well up for himself and Fionn.

"You guys can keep talking. I'm heading to the lab, so I can see what needs to be prepared. I would like to start my project as soon as possible." Qiao Chen excused himself and stood up to leave. Qiaoyi's recent attitude towards his papa was quite bad. Qiao Chen couldn't just do a 180 on his attitude out of nowhere and just become another person at the drop of a hat. Right now wasn't a good time to try and reconnect with his mother either, so it was better to leave and wait for a better opportunity.

Fionn watched Qiaoyi's back as he left. He turned back to Caesar after he couldn't see Qiaoyi anymore and looked heartbroken. Grief reared its head in Fionn's heart.

"Don't take it too hard. The kid's already grown up and developed his personality to be like that already. He's still healing from the emotional scars. Don't rush him, and take your time to help him undo that knot."Caesar reassured.

"He still resents me... He should too. At that time, I was too impatient. I ignored his feelings. I ignored him, my own child. It's my fault. He wasn't ready. He didn't even see it coming. I was the one blindsided him and broke his heart. I caused that know. It's all my fault." Fionn blamed himself. He put his face in his hands as he regretted his rashness. He mournfully sighed, "I should have just waited until he was older before I remarried. I was too impatient."