Discussion: Canon character personalization

If you're roleplaying or writing a canon character of a franchise into your story, there's always the possibility that he/she/they will be Out of character (OOC for short), so the best thing to do is learning about them.

And how are you doing this?

Here are my TOP tips to lern a canon character:

1) Watch their franchise
Honestly, this one is obvious. Get into the franchise first and then write them.

2) Ask your friends
This is meant in a sense that how they see the character's personality and morals. Different view points and ideas are a great idea to get started on that.

3) Check TVTropes.org
IK this is kinda shoehorning a website, but hear me out on that one, okay? TVTropes is a website where they explain typical tropes in media and show how they are used in shows, books ect. as well. Which includes characters, aka, you get a good idea on what tropes are in the character and how they are used with that character. And honestly, this helps A LOT, especially when you think you can't catch all of that yourself. (BTW, check regulary for updates on this one, so you ain't outdated)

4) Check the Wiki, but with a ton of salt
I don't need to say this, don't I?

Anyways, this should be a good basic round to get newbies in that area started.

See ya! ^^