Cliché, but true [Part four]

39 weeks pregnant

Ross's POV

I heard a soft groan come from besides me. I turned around to look at Y/N and saw her sitting up. "What's wrong, babe?" I asked and placed a hand on her back. It was now 3:27 in the morning. We were sleeping peacefully in her bed until I heard her groans.

"You remember that I had those Braxton-Hicks contractions, right?" she asked and I nodded before sitting up. I turned on the lamp beside her bed and a gentle glow filled the room.

"Are you getting them, again?" I asked. I wasn't nervous at all since I knew she wasn't in labour. When I looked closer I could see her hair clinging to her face. She was gripping her feather duvet in her hands and letting out slow breaths. My heart plummeted.

"Ross, I think I'm in labour. The contractions are way stronger and the pain is wrapping around my stomach to my back. I really don't feel good," Y/N whined and my breath caught in my throat. I quickly got out of bed and grabbed a pair of sweatpants to wear over my boxers.

"Alright, just stay here. I'll go wake up your mom. Do you need anything?" I asked hurriedly and she shook her head.

"Just go get my mom, please," she said and I quickly walked out of the room and down the hall. When I got to the door I opened it and walked to Martha's side of the bed.

"Martha," I mumbled and lightly shook her. Her eyes napped open and she scowled at me.

"Ross, what's going on?" she asked and I quickly explained to her that Y/N was having contractions. She grabbed a throw pillow and hit Frank with it who was snoring heavily besides her. His snores stuttered before he opened his eyes. She quickly explained and stood up. I followed her back to Y/N's room.

"Are you okay, honey? How do you feel?" she asked. "Not good," Y/N croaked out. Martha looked at her for a second and made eye contact with me. "We need to get her to the hospital. Are their bags packed?" she asked and I nodded.

While her parents got dressed I took Y/N and the baby's bags to the car and helped Y/N change into sweatpants and a shirt. The drive to the hospital was over in a blink of an eye. The nurses got Y/N settled into a room and came to see how far dilated she was.

"You're only about one centimetre dilated. When did you start having contractions?" she asked as she removed her gloves.

"I woke up with pain at about twelve thirty," Y/N said and the nurse nodded. "You may want to settle in, it looks like it's going to be a long night," the nurse said and Y/N sighed.

"Push the button if you need any help," she said shortly and walked out of the room. My mouth hung open and I turned to look at Martha.

"Why is she so rude? Can she even do that?" I asked in gobsmack and Martha shrugged. "I don't think she has much sympathy with you, honey, but don't worry I'll be quick to get another nurse if she keeps this on," Martha said as she rubbed away hair on Y/N's forehead.

"Well, how far are you supposed to be dilated?" I asked and Y/N turned her head to me. I could see the pain clearly in her eyes as she clutched her stomach.

"I'm supposed to be dilating one centimetre at an hour during active labour. That's obviously not happening," she groaned and I walked to her side. I sat down on the chair and placed my hand on her stomach.

"I'll be there for you," I lightly sang and a laugh escaped her mouth.

"Wow, you're singing Friends and your name is Ross. How ironic," she said and I smiled at her. "I don't know how I'm going to do this. I'm so scared, Ross," she confessed and I kissed her hand.