Chapter 6

Rachel kept her feelings aside and went shopping.

She tried out many formals and picked up a few. Few accessories that complimented her outfit and a pair of shoes was her last pick.

After her shopping spree, she headed home. She was too excited to show her outfits and share the happenings about the entire days, except about Peter.

Daisy opened the door, Rachel was greeted by the aroma of freshly baked cake. She knew it was Daisy aunt's special 'Banana and Walnut cake', that would drive anyone asking for more.

Before, she could freshen up, Rachel insisted on having a few bites of it. Aunty happily offered the cake to her. She had baked it as an appreciation for her new job. Rachel's eyes welled up, thinking how fortunate she was to have few helping people in her life.

Both liked the outfits that Rachel had purchased and complimented her for it. Rachel shared every detail about her day in office, over dinner. The salary package and other perks added up to their excitement.

After dinner, Rachel sat in her room looking at the darkness outside her window, thinking about the conversation she had with Peter. Tears kept flowing, opening out her pile of emotions. Just then there was a tap on her shoulder, that startled her.

Daisy aunty was taken aback looking at a tearful Rachel. Rachel embraced her and burst out crying. She tried to pacify her and asked her, "what's troubling you so much.?"

"Aunty....Aunty...it's about Peter."

"Peter....who Peter?tell me dear."

Rachel narrated the entire story, right from their childhood days to their breakup. She gave a patient hearing to it.

"Dear, I'm sorry for what happened. But from what you have told me, this guy doesn't deserve you. If he can't understand you now, he never will. It's a blessing in disguise. Don't harm yourself further for that stupid fellow. I know it's not easy to overcome, but over a period of time you will thank your stars. Go sleep now. Good night."

"Thanks Aunty, please don't share this to mom. She'll be hurt by this. It's so nice to have you in my life, to guide me at such times. Love you Aunty, good night."

***

Rachel was preparing the following day: sorting out things at home, arranging her wardrobe, running errands and doing everything that would make life easier for the two women.

Next morning, after breakfast she was all set to mark her first day at work.After taking blessings from her mom and aunty, she headed to the church to offer flowers at her father's grave and to seek Gods blessings.

It was her first day at work, so she hired Uber to drop her from Chembur to BKC.

She was getting nervous the moment she stepped into her new office.

The receptionist directed her to the 7Th floor. She was offered a cubicle just beside Mr. Mohit's cabin. After introducing her to the Seniors and Executives of the company, the HR asked her to take her seat.

Mr. Mohit was yet to arrive. In the meanwhile, Rachel went through the company profile and the list of esteemed clients of the company that was handed to her by the HR.

She texted her mom," Everything is fine here. Happy to meet my new colleagues. Take care and have your medicines on time. Give regards to Aunty."

There was a knock on her desk, she looked up from what she was reading. It was Mr. Mohit, "Good morning Rachel." She got up and greeted him, "Good Morning Sir."

"I hope you are comfortable. Meet me in my cabin in the next 10 min."

"yes sir."

She followed as instructed by her boss.

" Please be seated Miss. Rachel. I hope the HR has briefed you about the company.You will have to book few meetings for me with these clients. I have mentioned the timings alongwith the days," he said and handed over a file to Rachel.

" Yes, I was briefed about the company. I will do this right away."

"That's good, I expect the work to be precise and fast. By doing so, you can avoid late sittings. If at all there's any issue to be addressed related to your job please meet the HR. You can approach me, in case it doesn't get resolved. You can move now."

"Fine. Thank you, Sir."

She walks out to her cubicle and starts with her first assignment in hand.

She was happy doing what she learned. Her colleagues too were helpful, making her at ease. Her day passed fixing meetings and doing other work as demanded.

At 5:30pm, Mr. Mohit instructed Rachel to leave since he didn't have any urgent work in hand.

Rachel followed his orders and left for the day.

***

Mr. Mohit headed the empire his dad had left behind. He was tall and handsome, and had a passion for singing. He was a go-getter and a winner all through his life, but his personal life had hit rock bottom. In spite of being divorced, women fell for his status and good looks. But he being a no-nonsense person, stayed away from them.

He has two sons, Aryan and Ayushman, aged 10 and 8years old respectively. In fact, he is a doting father to them, when he's with them no amount of work can take away those precious moments.He plays, cooks and tells them bed time stories. His kids love him to the core.

Due to Mohit's erratic work schedule, Sheela used to spend time with her childhood friend-Rohit. She found love and comfort in his company and moved ahead. She left the kids under Mohit's shelter.

Though Mohit tried for a patch up, but in vain. He respected her decision and gave her a fortune as alimony.

Love never struck Mohit since then. He wanted someone sincere and understanding in his life, who would love his kids as her own and be an angel in their life.

He missed having that driving force in his life. But he left it to destiny, for no amount of money could bring true love.