chapter 14

In a couple of days Daisy moved back to Goa, assuring Rachel her full support at all times.

Rachel dreaded going back to her lonely home. Except for Mary, there was no one else to welcome her.

As days passed by, she was missing her parents more. She preferred her own space away from everyone.  Rachel even started ignoring Aryan’s call. She just wanted to live in her own shell.

***

From Rachels work, Mohit could sense her state of mind.She was losing focus which resulted in bad performance. Many times, he ignored her mistakes but now it was crossing the limits

One day Mohit confronted her.

“Rachel, I need to talk to you in depth. Are you happy with your work?I understand your situation, but work is getting hampered. If you want, take a break and go to Goa, at you Aunt’s place. I assure your job will be safe.”

“I’m sorry about it. Somehow, I can’t set my mind on work.I’ll try to focus, otherwise….,”she was in a loss of words, not knowing what next to do.

Mohit nodded his head in approval, but was doubtful of what she said.

Rachel attended work for a few days, trying to put her heart and soul into it.

One day, when Mohit stepped in late to office, Rachel was missing from her desk.

He assumed she would be in some other department or in the cafeteria.

Later, after an hour, he enquired with the receptionist about her absence. He was surprised to know that she didn’t turn up for the day. She even didn’t bother to drop a message, which she usually did.

Mohit wanted some important papers that was in Rachel’s custody. He personally checked her desk, to notice that her personal belongings:  Jesus statue, photo of her parents and her favourite mug, missing. He grew suspicious and called her up several times, but the phone was switched off.

Rachel had locked the drawers, due to which he couldn’t take out the documents.

Mohit looked disturbed, and moved to his cabin. Just then he got a call from the receptionist.

“Sir, a lady named Mary wants to meet you. She’s saying, Rachel had asked her to do so.”

“Rachel! Ok send her to me,” Mohit sensed something was unusual.

Mary walked in Mohit’s cabin after a few minutes.

“Sir, Rachel asked me to hand over this packet to you,” spoke Mary in a sad tone.

“But where is Rachel, is she ok?,” questioned Mohit giving a surprised look, taking the packet from her.

Mary’s eyes welled up. She spoke with deep emotion, “ Ever since Lucy left, Rachel was sulking from within. She was feeling more insecure and experienced lack of sleep too. Lately, she stopped talking to me. I couldn’t see her in such a state, she was always full of life. Yesterday, after coming back from office, she packed her bags and handed over this packet to me. I asked her what was she planning to do, to which she replied that she’s going to a far of land and was clueless about her destination. But stated, she was in search of inner peace and wanted to know the purpose of her life.”

Mohit interrupted, “I can’t believe, there was so much of turbulence within her. How could she do this to me.?”

Mary gave a questioning look and continued, “In the morning, she asked me, if I would like to stay back. Sir, what would I do there! So, I told Rachel I’ll leave to my hometown. She hugged me and wept. Later she handed over some money to me, as her token of love. In fact, she was the one who dropped me here. I don’t know what’s going on in that child’s mind. Only God can save her!”