Chapter 12

Rhythm of my life

Rachel and Daisy was dropped back home by Mohit's driver.

The home that was filled with peace and happiness, had lost all its glory.

After marriage, Lucy had stepped into this home, and happiness followed thereafter. It was packed with memories right from her nuptial days till her passing away.

Rachel broke down in front of her dad's image. She had never expected to face another blow, this soon.

Mary tried consoling the two ladies and offered them water. They skipped dinner and preferred to sleep on Lucy's bed, recollecting old days before drifting to sleep.

***

Derick along with Mohit, completed all the necessary formalities to procure the death certificate. The church was intimated about Lucy's demise.

Mohit informed the receptionist about the sad demise of Rachel's mother. He planned to quit office for the day, instead coordinate via phone. Mohit ordered his driver to be at Rachel's home, to assist Derick and the family for the day.

The funeral was scheduled to be held at 5:00p.m, Holy Family Church.

The news spread like fire, after the announcement was made in church. Rachel's friends dropped in to console her.

Few office staffs and distant relatives assembled at Rachel's place to offer condolence.

The body arrived in a casket around 12:00noon. Lucy was draped in a green saree, that James had gifted her during their anniversary.

She left this world with unfulfilled dreams, the dream of seeing Rachel in holy matrimony.

Rachel hugged the body the moment it arrived and wailed out. Daisy tried consoling her despite being shattered by Lucy's death. She had lost her best friend for life.

Rachel sat drained-out, beside the coffin with eyes fixed on it. The only line she kept whispering in-between sobs were, "Mom come back to me, I can't live without you."

Rachel kept pouring out, recollecting those days spend with her mom right from her existence. Her world had come to a grinding halt. Within a year, she was left without a family.

The last few hrs were more painful, adding up to her sorrow.

Mohit arrived by 4pm, his eyes fell on Rachel. She was in a black dress, shedding countless tears.The last time he had seen her in black, on her birthday and now ......Birth and death took its own course. He tried controlling his emotions, diverting his attention towards Derick. He thought, "Nothing could soothe her aching heart."

Mohit enquired with Derick about the funeral proceedings, since he was unfamiliar with the custom.

The priest arrived shortly and offered prayers to the departed soul. He knew the family personally, since Rachel was an active member in the church like her father.

Rachel's close friends accompanied her to the church alongwith the rest. The final journey of the departed soul had just begun.

***

The coffin was placed in front of the altar. Close family members alongwith Mohit occupied the front row.

Mohit recalled his trauma, when he lost both his parents in a short span of time.

The funeral mass was over. Everyone paid their last respect to the body, before it was taken to the burial ground.

Lucy's grave was dug besides James. The last prayers were chanted before closing the coffin.

Rachel pecked her mom for the last time.Daisy cried out, giving one last hug to her bestie. Soon, the physical body disappeared, after the casket was closed and lowered down. Flowers and wreaths followed, till it was covered in mud.

Rachel knelt down in-between the two graves, holding both, on either side in a hug. She poured out all her sorrows. This sight was heart wrenching for everyone present there. They blessed Rachel deep within, for a better tomorrow.

Mohit too wept like a child.

Finally those gathered at the funeral, formed a queue to convey their condolence to the family members: Rachel , Derick and Daisy.

****

Days passed-by in mourning. Lucy's photo hung besides James.

Daisy advised Rachel to join back work. Rachel denied since she had lost her purpose in life. She was left with no one to appreciate her achievements or to motivate on her failures. Life seemed aimless, no path to follow, no dreams to accomplish.

Life is a journey; the scars will remain, but we have to continue to walk this endless path.