chapter 24

Sparsh was buzzing with the new born arrival. Everyone wanted to cuddle the little one. The youngest member had won everyone’s heart, in a few minutes.

After completing, the necessary formalities the baby was handed over to Rachel.

Rachel felt a lump in her throat, the moment she held the infant in her hand. The feeling of a mother, at the first sight of her baby. The little one was fast asleep, when it exchanged hands. She held her towards her bosom and prayed. A peck on her little forehead, bought smile on her cute face. She couldn’t part away with the child; such was her instant bonding.

Rachel directed the nurse to keep her in the kid room. She was instructed to be with the baby 24x7.

Just as the news spread within the house, about her arrival, all gathered around the baby to get a glimpse of it. The baby who was in deep sleep, woke up crying, with all the commotion. She was more scared than happy.

The nurse advised them, to go away. The baby had to adjust to the new surroundings.

Seetha who was observing the whole scene from a distance, wept out. It bought back old memories of her departed children.

Rachel couldn’t concentrate on her job, she was more concerned for the little one. She kept checking now-n-then whether the baby was doing fine. Same was the state with the rest, everyone wanted to be beside her.

In the evening, when the baby woke up, Rachel took her to the garden. The seniors had assembled there, as instructed by her. They all could spend some time with the tiny tot.

Every face had that broad smile. Few of them held her closer, to experience the joy of a loved one. Now the baby had more loving hands, to cater to her needs.

Rachel made an announcement, noticing the way everyone addressed the baby, “hello Uncle and Aunties, why not we call her Pari, for now? She’s came as an angel, in our lives. Let me tell you, once the police get a lead about her parents, she’ll be reunited with them. Though I wish for her to stay back, but she too requires her home.”

Everyone cheered hearing the name, but was upset at what she said later. Though they have faced the worst in life, they took this news too, with a pinch of salt.

The air was filled with Pari…Pari..Pari. Pari never stopped smiling. 

Rachel was so involved with Pari, she missed to inform Mohit, about the new addition.

***

It was more than a week, Mohit was clueless about the happenings at Sparsh. He never heard anything from Aryan either. Mohit decided to call Sparsh instead.

Seetha attended his call. When Mohit enquired casually about everyone, Seetha informed him about Pari. Mohit was too disappointed, since he expected Rachel to share this news with him.

Without asking for Rachel, Mohit disconnected the line. He had made up his mind, never to discuss about Pari. He deliberately wanted to do so, with Rachel.

Seetha informed Rachel about Mohit’s call. Rachel decided to call him immediately, but got busy with her work. The day passed by in a jiffy.

Next morning at 8, Rachel remembered not calling him up. She grabbed her phone and dialled him. He disconnected the line. After several attempt, Mohit picked up the call.

“Rachel, do you think I’m sitting free here to attend to your call, I have lots of work to do. You are neither my girlfriend nor my wife, that I should pick your call in the first ring itself. Tell me what’s so urgent,” Mohit blurted out, his piled-up emotions.

Rachel was fuming by what said heard and blasted, without bothering about anything, “I don’t have any intention of being one either. I’m in a better state and don’t need a man to live my life. Bye.”    

After the heated argument, both were badly hurt; Mohit-for being so rude towards her and Rachel-by his words. She never could imagine this side of him, in fact she was unaware of his outburst. She presumed it was related to the proposal.

Next two days, they both were silent: no messages, no calls.

Rachel mustered courage and replied to his confession via message. She preferred doing so, in order to avoid seeing that sad look on his face.

“I know, I should have called you up, to share this news personally.But that look on your face would melt me down with guilt. I’m sorry, I don’t feel, I’m in love with you yet.I respect you and hold you in high regards.  Any girl would love to marry a man like you, but I’m different, so is my life. I can’t enter into a relationship just by looking at anyone’s status and fame. I really need to get connected to the person. With you, I have always felt that friendly connection. Hope you’ll understand my point. Please do move on in life, you’ll get someone better. Aryan and Ayushman, will be blessed to have a mother. I’m nowhere close to your dream girl. In fact, I’m a bit sunky.  Life has been hard on me, but you helped me out, on various counts. I can only express my gratitude to you, for all that you have done for me. Mohit let us continue as friends for life, the bond which we share the best. I’m going to take a big leap in my life, it’s in the pipeline. Hope to share that good news soon….Don’t run your thoughts wild, it’s not related to marriage.” 

Rachel was relieved, after pressing the send message. She had finally cleared her stand.

Mohit read the message several times, to reconfirm it. He never faced rejection from any girl, so this came as a huge blow. He tried to pacify himself, the reason for rejection. The fact that he’s a divorced man with 2kids in his custody.

It would take a few days for it to sink in him.

After an hr,Mohit replied to the message,“ it’s ok. Faults in my stars.”

Her heart sank on seeing those words. But she couldn’t be a people’s pleaser all her life.

There was a long silence for the next few weeks.

***

After three months

Rachel was beaming with joy, going through that piece of paper. The key to her happiness. She just wanted to dance, scream out to the world and share that piece of news.

Life was unpredicatable, but on a happier note. Sparsh, rejoiced and hugged and congratulated her. She marked her happiness by strumming the guitar to the song, “oh, my sleeping child the world so wild……”

The air was filled with happiness, the flowers bloomed to its full glory, the birds chirped n the beast cheered. But in reality, things are just the same, it’s the way we look at it. When we are in a happy state everything around seems beautiful, but the slightest deviation shatters everything around.

‘LAUGH AND THE WHOLE WORLD LAUGHS WITH YOU, CRY AND YOU CRY ALONE.’

There was no bigger gift for her, on this planet, than to ‘ Be a mother’.