Chapter 10 | 5 years

"I honestly don't think you should except this Taylor. It's a big deal and everything, but this stuff... I thought it was behind you."

I was woken by a slam of my parents door.

"I just came back, and it was in the mail. I wasn't even going to think about it until I noticed how much money it could make us. We need it babe. We really do."

"I know-kinda-your confusing me... But, money is not important."

"It is if your scratching lottery tickets by the dozen hoping you'll get lucky just to pay rent."

"Fine. I guess you can. But what about Leigh? What about our friends? What about her friends? Are we supposed to just pack up our life and start a whole hew one? Taylor, you can't expect me to do that again."

"I'm sorry. I know but it's best."

"Best for who? You! Your so selfish!"

There voices got louder until my door slightly opened.

"Don't you trust me?"

"I don't trust a sport career. Definitely not baseball. You haven't done it in so long."

"It's just a tryout. They didn't say I was in yet."

"Exactly! We move, then you don't get in."

"Why do you keep saying I won't get in?"

"I'm just being real. Something you should try. You've never had to handle 'real'. Your whole life was perfect. You had all the girls loving you, and I was there being made fun of. How do you think that felt? Huh?."

"Perfect? if anyone is perfect around here it was you. Ya, I had a lot of girls, but they never took me seriously. You were honestly the first. Then my mom died right in front of me... when I was ten. It was enough to remember how it went down. Then I moved schools not knowing anyone. Baseball was my turning point."

I heard my daddy bawling.

"I'm so sorry I had no idea..."

"Well let's just get her ready for her last day of school at larksville."