Chapter 22 | 14 years

After practice I gather my bags and check over everything to make sure I didn't forget anything. I grab my bag and turn around grabbing Lane.

"Lane!?"
"Gee, I don't get a hi?"
"Why are you here?"
"Turn around."

I look to see what he was pointing at. I walk over and I see a black bag.

"That yours?"
"Yes. Now move."
"You've changed so much."
"I didn't change. I just am the person you have grown apart from. I've actually always been this way sweetie. You just aren't in love with me no more. Now before I move you."
"Your a jerk."
"Maybe. I've gotta go. I actually have friends to meet up with. Bye Leigh, and good-luck with your mom."
"Humph!"
"See ya!"

He walked and waved not even noticing me. I see him run over to a girl that was on the softball team too. It was Lennon. That girl.
I sit on the bench regrouping. My heart was pumping from nervousness. I hate school. Friends turning on me, and a guy that I thought was perfect at the time was now with a girl that he barely knows. Ugh.

"Hey. You okay?"

I felt an arm swing around me. My face warmed right up. I look up.

"Conner."

A sigh of relief. At least he's normal. Or at least I think so, or I might just be in love.

"You okay? Your really hot-I mean you feel hot-not that your not-"
"I'm just glad your here."
"What did Lane do to you?"
"How do you know him?"
"Duh. Baseball?"
"Your not going to turn on me right? Were actually friends right?"
"Of course. The only reason I would leave you is if I'm dead."
"That's securing on so many levels."

He screeched his head between my head and shoulders. I didn't know what to do except go with my gut and lean my head on his.

"Conner?"
"Ya?" He moved his head to look at me.
"I need to tell you something."
"What? You still okay?"
"Yes. It's just that I really-"
"Like you."
"Yes? I mean ya."
"Well I don't like you."
"Oh-that's-"
"I love you Leigh and I will never leave you."
"Oh my god."
"We might be only in 8th grade but this feeling will last a lifetime."
"Do you really believe that?"
"Ya. Don't you?"
"I believe in commitment. Not just saying with words."

We look at each other waiting on what to do next. I grab with my hand on the bench and lean in. Before I know it Conner kisses me. I close my eyes to feel the relaxing movement of my muscles. I am so relaxed I feel like someone is playing with my hair. I feel love. Real love this time.