Chapter 13 | 14 years

*beep beep*

I aim my pillow for the alarm clock but it tumbles down to the floor. I reach my hand over to find the button. I finally find the button after pressing every single button on it before the one you actually wanted to push.

"Leigh? Are you awake?"
"Yea. Why?"
"Just making sure your ready."
"Lane. I'm fine I can get out of bed by myself without you having to wake me up. And do I say it might take a while, but it'll be done."
"Okay um well your mom has breakfast made."
"What is it? Wait."

I raised my nose up and smelt the scent of bacon booming through the air.

"Bacon."
"Yea."
"Hey Lane, you alright? You haven't made fun of me today, or said I was ugly or anything. You feeling good?"
"I'm fine."
"Um okay."

I kinda just let him be. He seemed like something was wrong, but I did all I could do. I mean, did I?
I headed downstairs after I got ready. Lane wasn't down there. I headed right back up and walked all the way to the opposite door of my room. I knocked.

"Lane? You in there?"
"Go away Leigh."
"Can I come in?"
"Why?"

I heard sobbing between his breaths.

"Let me in."

I heard the creaking of footsteps and he came and turned the knob ever so slowly, which he cracked the door.
He had tears all the way down his face. I followed these tears and I saw where some of them fell on his shirt. I looked at his sleeve and he was grasping his wrist.

"Let me see your hand Lane."
"What's it to you?"
"Let me."
"I let you come in to my room. I can't let you in everywhere Leigh. There is things that you don't understand."
"I might. Can we talk? What stays in this room, stays in this room."
"Fine."
"Good. We're making progress."
"Here."

He let go of his wrist to let me see what he was crying for.

"Lane..."

I grabbed his wrist and kissed it.

"Well now you know. I cut okay."
"Why? What made you do that?"
"See I told you. You wouldn't understand."
"Lane I'm confused. I don't understand. I need you to help me, so I can help you! Please! Stop this!"
"It's my life."
"But don't just take that away for a reason that's probably really stupid!"
"It's you leigh."
"And...wait what?"
"I like you Leigh. I really do."
"Well if we're being honest I like you too."

His eyes brightened brighter then that day at the tire swing. I have never seen this kid so happy. I actually really did like Lane, and I will sacrifice everything so that he will stay.

"So... You really do?"
"I'll give you a answer if you tell me why you've done this."
"Okay. So in fifth grade, jenny Lucas-"
"The baseball star of the school."
"Yea. Him. He's been bulling me since the beginning of 6th grade about how I would never actually get a girl like you."
"Wait... So it's about me?"
"Yea. Jenny really likes you, and if he ever caught me even looking at you, he'll beat me up."
"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry."

I reached over to Lane with my arms wrapped around his neck. I squeezed until I felt it was time to let go. I started to let go, but then he pulled me in even tighter. My neck was on his collar of his tee shirt smelling his sweet cologne.

"Lane! Leigh! Your going to be late!"