Chapter 17 | 14 years

"Okay line up."

We got in line for bat. I was of course nervous because I had no idea how to play, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one with Rachel around.

"First one up is Lennon. Ill throw it to you with a speed about 60. Is that okay or lower?"
"Higher."
"Okay 70, but I'm stopping there."
"Fine, whatever."

Lennon was sure the determined type. She always seemed to want to be better than everyone. She had that smirky red cheeks, with bright green eyes and blond straight hair. She every bit looked better than everyone else. She definitely had that on people.
She grabbed the bat with fire in her eyes. The ball came towards her pretty fast, well in my eyes anyway. She noticeably swung way to early. Anyone could of seen that. I looked at the coach and she wrote something on her board.

If Lennon doesn't get in I surely won't even have a chance. I look back at Lennon trying out and she was finished. Three balls laid on the floor where she had three strikes.

"Leigh?"
"Yes?"
"Your turn. Common how fast do you want for your pitch."

I looked over at Lennon fussing out her friends about how "jinked" this was. I looked back at the coach and said:

"80."

I heard a gasp from the remaining girls trying out waiting to be called from the line in the cages.

"What? No. Your unprepared."
"try me."
"Are you sure?"
"I'm ready as ever. It's not even that fast."
"You know the-"
"Just go."
"Okay. But I'm not sure I'm allowed."
"If I'm telling you, you can."
"Fine. Fine. It's that Autumn in you."
"Pitch it."

I positioned myself how I saw some girls practicing before. I looked the coach right in the eye. I eyed her down until I saw the ball rushing towards me. I freaked.

"Strike one!"

I repositioned myself. I brushed it off and told her to go again.

"Okay! Get ready. Not so early this time."
"go!"

I swung. I felt a bump right on the end of my bat. The ball shot over to the left.

"She hit it."

I did. I really did. Wow, I actually don't suck!

"Was that promising coach? I can go again!"
"Don't get too cocky. Your fine. Now Rachel?"
"Here!"

After the tryouts Lennon, Rachel and I met each other in the office.

"Hey Leigh you wanna meet us to eat? Were checking out. It's kinda a tradition we do."
"I don't want to intrude."
"Nah. Were friends now."
"Okay. Yea that sounds fun. Let me just text my mom the details, like when she picks me up."
"Okay. But we might spend the night."
"Um."
"Are you not up for that? Which is totally okay."
"No. I want to. I just had to think of my plans. That's all."
"Good. Okay me and Rachel will meet you up at the front with my mom's car. She's the mustang."
"Okay."

I texted my mom:

Mom I'm going to go to my friend's Lennon's house.

Not waiting for a reply I walked to the front.

"Hey. You ready Leigh?"
"Yep."
"What did she say?" Said Rachel.
"She said... I can come."
"Great! Where do you want to eat? I was thinking subway. What bout' you Lennon?"
"Yea. Sure."

She was too busy looking at her phone in the backseat. I was put in the front awkwardly sitting next to Lennon's mom.

"So Leigh."
"Yes mam'm?"
"Oh I was just trying to figure out the name with the face."
"Oh okay."

"Lennon what are you seriously looking at."
"Shh... Leigh look. It's your brother."
"What? I don't have a brother."
"Then who did you come with this morning. I saw you before I headed to the office to get some gear even before I went to the gym."
"Oh. He's- was my-"
"Boyfriend! Ah he's so cute!"
"Haha, yea but he's a jerk. Trust me."
"Oh okay."

She winked. The wink means "just kidding" or "not really". I don't want her to go through the same thing I went through with that cute, cute, cute jerk.

"Trust me. He's bad news."
"Sure. I still like him."
"But you don't even know him."
"He's cute."
"Okay but you can't just like a person for their looks. That will get you nowhere in life. Ever heard the expression don't judge a book by it's cover?"
"Yea but gosh. Don't get so defensive."
"I'm not. Anyway we're at subway."
"Yes!"
"I love this place."
"Ha. Me too."
"Well so you don't like anyone?"
"Nope. I barely know anyone here."
"Hmmmm..."
"Oh gosh."