Chapter 14 | 14 years

"Kids I'm serious if we aren't out this door without you guys something to eat-"
"We're coming!"

I looked at Lane for reassurance. He seemed okay. Good, and I'll keep it that way.

"Lane, so when we get to school I'll deal with it."

He walked down the staircase looking down at his hand as it slid down the rail.

"No."
"What do you mean, no?"
"He will just think your defending me. I don't want anything to happen to you. It's something that I just have to deal with on my own."
"Why don't we show him were dating?"
"W-what?"
"Well what else would we be? I mean we do like each other."
"True. I guess."

I have never seen him so red in my life. I was for sure his head was going to pop off any second. His acne flared up and he was biting his lip so hard.
When we finally reached the kitchen we grabbed a piece of bacon and ran out the door to catch the bus. This would be our first day of high school and riding the bus.

"Bye! Mom!"

I went to hug my mom who was busy talking on the phone.

"I don't understand why you can't Taylor."

I poked her arm to ask her a question.

"Mom what's going on? You okay?"
"Sweetie. I'm on the phone talking about serious things. It's none of your business. I'll tell you later okay."
"Um okay then. Well bye."
"Love you."

She waved as I went and I waited for Lane to stop hugging his mom.

"Common Lane."
"Okay bye mom."

We walked outside to the bus and I saw Jenny walking towards the back of the bus as we got on. We sat in the front of the bus, so we could ignore him at all costs.

"I'm just going to look back really quick."
"No he stares at you anyway so if you look you'll make eye contact which will make him come up here."
"No it won't. Just really quick."

I start looking back and he was staring at me. Lane also looked and when we both turned back in shock our cheeks hit each other. Lane kissed my cheek for a reason I don't know why.

"Lane! What was that! He's gonna come-"
"Leigh? Who's this?"
"Oh hi Jenny. It's my... Boyfriend."
"This guy? You could do better. I mean look at him! All scared up!"
"Stop Jenny. Your being mean."
"And that face! All pimpled up!"

I saw Lane put his head in his hands. Tears ran through the cracks of his bandaged up hands and arms.

"Jenny, your going to get it when we get to school."
"What? Are you going to beat me up or are you going to get this depressed freak to protect you? He can't even protect himself."
"Just go away."
"Fine."

He walked back and flicked Lane in the back of the head.

"I-I told you."
"No. It's okay Lane."