Chapter 15 | 14 years

We got off the bus with me watching Lane's back. I grabbed Lane's hand and he squeezed my hand making me want to let go. He got to the front of the school before me and he let go of my hand to open the door.

"After you."
"Thanks."

I smiled. I walked through the door and I heard a gasp of breath.

"Don't do anything. I'm watching."
"O-okay Jenny."

I ran to approach Lane.

"What he do?"
"Just gave me a run for my money."
"And?"
"I'm fine. But we need to break up."
"What?"

I was shocked. I thought he liked me. I kept him alive. What is happening?

"I know we haven't even been dating for an hour but your moving out-"
"What I am?"
"That's what my mom said."

I grab my forehead. I was pale and wanted to go home. Where ever it is.

"And I've been having a living hell with you dating me. I told you yet you still didn't listen, it's going to be brought on you."
"Your a jerk!"
"Maybe. I just can't do it."
"No please!"

I looked around with my damp teared up face. I wipe my eyes to see that everyone was witnessing this.

"Sorry."
"Lane."
"Leigh, I really like you."
"No. No..."

I ran in front of him purposely pushing his shoulder as I passed him. I ran to the girls locker room to where I kept my gym bag. I grabbed my phone to have my mom come and get me. I dialed.

"Mom?"
"Yeah?"
"Come get me."
"Why? You alright?"
"No. Where's out new house mom?"
"You found out..."
"Yeah."
"Sorry."
"That's the least of my worries, actually."
"You need to talk about it?"
"Nope. Just come-"

I looked up and I saw a softball tryout sheet. Something felt-something felt good. I don't know what it was that made me take a sheet, but it was sure convincing. I read it.

Softball tryouts!
Come!
Little to no experience!
8:00am to 10:00am!

"Mom."
"Yes I'm still here. What were you saying?"

I looked at my watch. 7:50am.

"Never mind. I'm good."
"Okay bye?"
"Bye."