Chapter 18 | 14 years

When we walk into subway the fresh smell of bread over takes my senses.

"Smells good guys."
"Uh huh." Rachel nodded.

We lined up waiting to tell them our order. I just start to talk when I notice the man's eyes. Brown at first, then when you look harder they turn into a deep, dark, green that traps you in a trance. A trance of remembrance.

"Ma'am? You goin' order?"

I look at the name tag. Taylor.

"Dad...dad?"
"Autumn?"
"Yes."
"Oh my god."
"I haven't seen you in like, since I was seven."
"Ya, have you been good to Autumn?"
"My mom."
"Of course."
"She's not, okay. She's having trouble moving on okay. She thought you loved her. I bet you have a new girl now don't you."
"Maybe. I mean yes. But your holding up the line. See you."
"No! I'm not finished!"

Lennon and Rachel were pushing me to go on out of the door with the sandwiches they bought from the other line.

"He's here! I need to talk to him!"
"Leigh! Your hyperventilating!"
"I need..."

I broke down sobbing, and right in front of subway. I felt my head and I was light headed. I put my head in my hands. I was warmed by someone putting their hands on my shoulders. I turned with my red eyes and it was "taylor". My so called dad. He's never been a dad to me, or so I've been told.
I shoved my shoulders knocking his hands off of them.

"Leigh."
"Huh? Oh, hi Dad. I'm just sitting here instead of being with my friends who now are calling my mom. What do you want Taylor."
"So you've started calling me Taylor now I see."
"Yes. Your point?"
"I just think I should at least get a better title."
"Okay."
"Good."
"Hi step-father, the one who left."
"Ouch."
"You did it. Why deny?"
"I'm sorry. I just have to get back."
"Okay. But your not really helping my name calling. Or "labeling"."
"Gotta go."
"Bye."
"Wow. A lot of love there."
"Why should I love someone if they don't even care to catch up with me? Why should I love someone who has changed so much to where you don't even know why you loved them in the first place? Why? Why, thou one who left me behind and is still doing it to this day. Ouch... Is right."

He left with the door slamming right in front of me making me stub my toe. I fall backwards not knowing where the step off the curb was. Blank.