Luke

Before ~

“Do I really have to do this?” I asked.

“Luke,” my Mom sighed, drumming her fingertips on the steering wheel, “I think this is going to be good for you.”

“Helping some idiot that’s not intelligent to understand elementary level math?” I said slowly, “Sounds like a blast.”

Frowning slightly, Mom turned to look at me, removing the cigarette from her mouth before speaking, “Your councilor said this would be a good way for you to make a friend.”

“I don’t need friends.”

“Everyone needs friends Luke.”

“Not true, some people prefer to be alone, I can’t help it that I have misanthropic personality traits.”

“Was that English?”

Sighing I looked out the rain splattered window, “I just don’t like people Mom, is that such a crime? You should be happy I’m not going out to parties and getting girls pregnant.”

Rolling her eyes, Mom places the cigarette back between her red lipstick coated lips, “Why can’t you be more like your brothers?”

“What married?” I snapped, “I’m eighteen they’re in their twenties!”

“I know you’re not giving me attitude!”

Biting my tongue I looked down at my lap, pulling at a loose string hanging from the rip in my jeans.

“Ungrateful little bastard.” Mom grumbled.

Tensing I tried to block out the slew of insults the spilled from her lips pelting me like daggers until we pulled to a stop infront of a large brick house.

“Get out.” She spat, “I have to get to work.”

“Gladly.” I grumbled, throwing my door open and hastily climbing out of the crappy car.

Before I had even closed my door all the way she was driving away leaving a cloud of exhaust behind her. Swinging my backpack over my shoulder I crammed my hands into my pockets before making my way up the gravel driveway. Taking the cement front steps two at a time I pulled my beanie further down on my head and took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell.

Almost immediately the door was thrown open to reveal woman oozing with the sort of effortless perfection women of the nineteen fifties craved. Her hair was perfect, as were her nails, makeup and even her teeth, her brightly colored floral print dress didn’t contain so much as a single wrinkle, and even though she was inside she wore a pair of shiny, six inch stiletto heels.

“You must be Luke!” she greeted, ushering my inside.

The smell of freshly baked cookies tantalizing my senses, I looked around the spotless foyer.

“I’m Carol.” The woman said excitedly, “Alyssa and Ashton’s mother.”

Having no idea who either of those people were but vaguely recognizing Alyssa to be the name of the girl I was tutoring I nodded slowly.

“She’s in the kitchen.” She continued, leading me farther into the house, “I thought the table in there would be a nice place for you two to work, spread your books out and everything.”

Nodding politely I followed her into a large, spotless kitchen furnished with more sparkling clean stainless steel appliances then the store from which they were bought. Letting my eyes wander it was a moment before I realized that there was another person in the room. A small blonde girl sat at a large, table in the corner playing with her fingertips anxiously.