Alyssa

Taping my pencil on the table I looked around the empty library before glancing up at the large clock on the wall above the librarian’s desk.

3:34

He was fifty minutes late.

Sighing, I pulled out my notebook and began to doodle. I would give him an hour, ten more minutes and then I was out of there.

Nine mutes later I had successfully drawn a decaying zombie looking man and was just about to pack up when I was startled by a voice behind me.

“That’s really good.”

Startled, I looked over my shoulder and found Luke looking down at my drawing, his face mostly hidden by the hood of his sweatshirt which was pulled over his head.

“You’re late.” I informed him.

“Sorry.” He mumbled, “I forgot.”

“I just saw you last night.” I mumbled.

“I know,” he sighed, sitting down across from me, “but I’ve been busy.”

“How was the game?” I questioned, as he rummaged though his backpack for his books.

“Great.” He dead panned, “I love sitting on a cold slab of metal taking picture of overweight boys crammed in tight pants, ramming into each other like Neanderthals while girls in school approved strips of fabric shake pompoms and tell me to chant for said Neanderthals.”

“Sheesh, how do you really feel?” I laughed.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, “I just don’t see the point in it. Not to mention I hate those jerks.”

“Me too.” I replied.

Glancing up at me he smiled. I began to return the gesture, however frowned, my eyes moving to his cheek. Reaching forward I pulled off his hood before he could stop me then gasped.

The entire right side of Luke’s face was red and peeling like he had been burned.

“What happened?” I demanded.

“Nothing.” He snapped, pulling his hood back up.

“That is not nothing!” I cried.

“It’s none of your business.” She snapped.

“Who did that?” I asked.

“I said leave it.” He replied through gritted teeth.

“Luke,” I said gently, “That looks bad.”

“It’s not.”

“It looks like it hurts.”

“It doesn’t.”

Scowling I reached forward. His eyes widening, he flinched back, however before he could rise to his feet I quickly yet gently pulled off his hood.

“Alyssa.” He grumbled.

Ignoring him, I ever so carefully touched his cheek. Instinctively he winced.

“Sorry.” I said quickly, moving back.

“No it’s fine.” He mumbled, “It didn’t hurt I just thought it would.”

Moving closer once again, I gently touched his cheek and this time he let me.

“What happened?” I mumbled.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” He replied, his blue eyes locking on mine, pleading with me silently to let it go.

Sighing I nodded and pulled away.

“I’m sorry.” He mumbled.

“It’s fine,” I said, waving him off, “Let’s get to work.”

Shooting me an appreciative smile, he opened the large math text book he had brought and began to read.