Alyssa

Screams and footsteps echoed in my ears as I stood in the empty gym, looking down at the blood splattered list in my hands.

J̶̷u̶̷s̶̷t̶̷i̶̷n̶̷

M̶̷i̶̷l̶̷e̶̷s̶̷

K̶̷y̶̷l̶̷e̶̷

J̶̷e̶̷s̶̷s̶̷i̶̷c̶̷a̶̷

A̶̷v̶̷a̶̷

A̶̷l̶̷e̶̷x̶̷i̶̷s̶̷

C̶̷o̶̷l̶̷i̶̷n̶̷

W̶̷h̶̷i̶̷t̶̷n̶̷e̶̷y̶̷

B̶̷r̶̷a̶̷n̶̷d̶̷o̶̷n̶̷

K̶̷e̶̷l̶̷l̶̷y̶̷

H̶̷a̶̷n̶̷n̶̷a̶̷h̶̷

S̶̷y̶̷d̶̷n̶̷e̶̷y̶̷

Haley

Crumpling up the note I tossed it on the ground before starting towards the History room where I knew Haley would be. As soon as people saw me they screamed and ran, I was tempted to shoot them, but I knew I couldn’t I had two bullets laughed and two people to kill.

Finally reaching the history room I threw the door open and was greeted by a chorus of screams.

“Please!” the teacher pleaded, “Please don’t hurt them.”

Ignoring him I scanned the room until my eyes landed on Haley cowering in the corner.

Smirking I crossed over to her.

“Don’t!” a boy shouted.

Ignoring him, I pressed the warm metal end of the gun to Haley’s forehead. Sobbing she shook her head violently.

“Please!” she sobbed, “I haven’t done anything! I don’t deserve this! People will miss me! Kill Michael, no one would care it’s different!”

Turning I looked at Michael, a small, ache pocked boy, with pale skin and hair dyed a bright red color. His green eyes were wide with terror and wet with tears.

Shaking my head in disgust, I pressed the gun to Haley’s face and prepared to pull the trigger however before I could, I felt something dig into my skin, piercing the side.

Crying out, I shot the gun, but it missed, the bullet just barely grazing her shoulder. Falling to the ground she screamed, as I grouped around my back until my fingertips found a pair of scissors imbedded in my back.

Turning around I found Michael towering over me, which struck me as weird. Haley had singled him out, calling him a no one, telling me to kill him, yet he’d defended her. Pulling the bloody scissors out, I dropped them to the ground.

Pressing the gun to Michael’s chest, I watched as his eyes closed in terror. I had no intention of shooting him, but I wanted him to know I could. Licking my lips nervously, the mask pulling with sweat, I backed away from him and out of the room, pointing my gun at anyone that tried to move towards me.

Well aware that I was losing quite a bit of blood but not anything dangerous I pushed the door open and ran down the hall and out the front door of Hell Ville high for one last time.

The air was filled with sirens, my ears ringing with the gunshots and the screams as I ran home, one hand clutching the weapon, the other pressed against my back. The mask, which was hindering my breathing, I dropped on the way.

Reaching my house after what felt like an eternity I pushed the door open since I had left it unlocked and ran up the stairs asking them two at a time, to the bathroom.

It began to sink in, what I’d done as I turned the shower on, and climbed in fully clothed, wanting to wash away the blood that stained my clothes and the sins that stained my conscious.

I didn’t realize I was crying for a moment, since it was mixing with the water, though I didn’t know if it was from pain, or guilt, or disgust in myself, or maybe a combination of the three.

You know that feeling when you fail a test and you know your parents are going to kill you and it feels like the whole world is crashing in on you? Crushing you slowly? That feeling doesn’t even begin to explain how I felt, standing there, thinking about what I’d done. I’d killed people. I’d shot them. Somewhere a Mom wasn’t going ask her daughter how her day was, and a kid wasn’t going to kick the ball around with his brother. A dad wasn’t going to get to go to a football game and a girl wasn’t going to have a sister, I’d taken it from them.

Did they deserve it?

I didn’t know anymore.

Did anyone deserve what I’d done?

I stood there until the warm water ran out, and then several hours after that, my mind and heart racing.

Looking down I watched as the thick crimson droplets fell into the warm, clear water, swirling around beautifully before disappearing down the drain with a satisfying gurgle.

Closing my eyes I put my head back, allowing the scalding hot water to wash away my guilt, fear and self loathing away with the blood, so much blood.

With shaking hands I reached down and unbuttoning my jeans rolled the soaking wet pants down my legs, leaving them to sit sopping wet on the shower floor, the blood washing off of them turning the water collecting at my feet a pale pink color.

Licking my lips I pulled my shirt over my head, dropping it near my pants and watching the blood swirl around them. Reaching up with trembling fingertips I ran my hands down my face wiping away the tears and blood smeared on my cheeks.

My ears echoed with screams as I cleaned the red out from beneath my fingertips and from the creases in my palms. My breathing erratic I reached down and picking up the bottle of soap squeezed it over my head, allowing the creams, bubbly substance to cascade down the top of my head, running down my neck and back, flowing down my arms and legs before mixing with the now ankle deep salmon tinted water.

I stood still, unmoving under the water for what felt like ages before the warm water ran out and goose bumps dotted my flesh. Turning off the tap I listened to the loud babbling of the drain, and the faint sound of sirens in the distance. My stomach churning and my head and heart pounding I pulled aside the plastic shower curtain and wrapped a large, fluffy towel tightly around myself, desperate for its warmth.

Crossing over to the mirror I wiped away the steam from the shower with my palm before taking a hard look at the monster staring back at me. She looked innocent enough with her dark blonde hair hanging limply from her scalp, her tired and bloodshot eyes welled with tears, her normally pale skin red from the scalding hot shower water. She looked sad if anything, not terrifying, or dangerous or capable of murder, let alone the massacre she had single handedly pulled off just hours before.