Luke

Sitting down at my usual table in the crowded cafeteria I opened up the brown paper bag which contained my lunch and turning it over dumped the contents out onto the table top.

There were the usual sandwich, along with the zip lock back of celery I had packed and a folded up piece of paper. Frowning, I opened it and scanned the note written in almost unreadable handwriting.

Dear Lukey,

I’m sorry about the other night. You know I didn’t mean to hurt you right? I love you.

Love,

Mom

Frowning, I scrunched up the note and tossed it into the garbage can a few feet away before opening my sandwich and taking a bite.

My mouth glued shut with peanut butter I looked around the crowded cafeteria, silently observing the variety of people dining there, until my eyes landed on Alyssa making her way towards her usually table with her head bowed, a blue plastic tray clutched in her hands.

Swallowing, I contemplated asking her to join me since we both ate alone, however before I could make any sort of move I watched as Kyle stuck his foot out infront of her. My mouth opening in mute horror I watched as she tripped, crashing down to the dirty floor, landing on top of her try, completely soiling her shirt.

Immediately, the room burst into peals of animalistic laughter. Her eyes filling with tears she hurriedly scrambled to her feet and bent down to pick up the smeared remains of her lunch.

Both furious at Kyle and filled with second hand embarrassment for Alyssa I rose to my feet and started forward to help her, however before I could get there, I watched in horror as Justin snuck up behind Alyssa, and grabbing her pants by the pockets, ripped them down.

I froze as the entire room fell silent, all eyes trained on Alyssa’s stark naked lower half, before a cruel and pounding laughter rang though the cafeteria.

“Would you look at that,” Miles cackled, “It is a girl, who knew!”

Her face the color of a beat, Alyssa hastily pulled up her pants and underwear before turning on her heel and running from the room.

My hands clenching into fists I crossed over to where Justin stood laughing and punched him square in the jaw.

“Ow!” he shouted, staggering back several steps, “What the hell you freak?”

“Leave Alyssa alone.” I warned, my knuckles throbbing.

“And why should I?” Justin taunted.

“Because if I don’t, you’ll be sorry.” I spat, before punching him in the stomach for good measure and running out of the cafeteria after Alyssa.

Reaching the hall I called her name, however there was no sign of her and not having any idea of where she went, I had no choice but to give up searching and head for class.