Luke

I stood beside the water fountain opposite the gym for fifteen minutes but Alyssa never showed up.

More than a little concerned I crossed over to a small blonde girl, leaving the locker room.

“Excuse me?” I asked, “Have you seen Alyssa?”

“Who?” she laughed.

“Alyssa.” I sighed, “She’s kind of short, light brown hair, dirty blonde kind of, thin, big eye…..”

“I have no idea.” She answered, “I haven’t seen her though sorry.”

“Thanks.” I muttered.

The class after that sucked, mostly because I was just wondering where Alyssa was and if she was okay, or had just stood me up. I hoped it wasn’t the second one, but then again I just wanted her to be okay, so I’d rather she forgot about meeting me, however that hoped was dashed on the rocks as I made my way to my last glass and got a Twitter notification.

Pulling out my phone I looked down at the screen and stopped seeing that it was a vide titled, ‘Bitch get’s Bashed.’

Sickened, yet curious I clicked on the video and froze, my heart leaping up to my throat realizing that the girl lying and crying naked on the floor being attacked by at least twelve girls, was Alyssa.

Turning around quickly, I ran though the crowded halls, ignoring teachers telling me to stop until I reached the front door and I didn’t stop there. Taking the steps three at a time, I ran to Alyssa’s house, making the five minute journey in two.

My heart hammering I leapt up the front steps, and raising my fist knocked repeatedly and frantically on the door until it swung open, revealing Ashton glowering at me.

“What the fuck do you want?” he asked.

“Where’s Alyssa?” I demanded, pushing past him and into the house.

“She’s in her room sle…..”

Before he could finish I made a beeline for the stairs and ran up them, opening every door until I found her.

She was asleep, wearing an oversized sweatshirt with the hood pulled up and her hands pulled into the long sleeves. A large fluffy blanket was pulled up to her ears, covering he little, balled up lump of a figure on the large bed. Her nose was swollen and badly bruised as were her eyes and her forehead. He had dried blood on it and her chin was bruised a violent dark purple color from ear to ear.

I didn’t even realize I was crying until I felt a tear slide off the end of my nose.

“Did you know about this?” Ashton demanded in a low voice behind me.

Whirling around, startled by his presence I shook my head frantically, “I would never! I love her, she’s my best friend!”

The lines in Ashton’s forehead smoothed as he relaxed.

“Do you know who did it?” he asked, shoving his hands in his pockets.

“No,” I mumbled, “But… there’s a video, you can see faces.”

Ashton winced, “Where is it?”

Feeling bad for the poor guy I reached into my pocket and pulling out my phone, handed it to him.

Turning the volume down, he turned on the video and watched intently for about five seconds before turning away looking sick and thrusting it back into my hands.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered, “I should have known something was wrong, I should have never asked her to come back to school, this is all my fault I’m so s….”