Alyssa

My forehead pressed against the cool glass of Ashton’s Jeep window, I watched as we rolled to a stop infront of the large brick Hell that was Heck Ville High.

“Do I have to go in?” I whispered.

“Why do you ask this everyday?” Ashton groaned, turning down the music and turning to look at me.

“I hate it.” I mumbled.

“So does everyone else.”

“You don’t understand…. I can’t go in there, please don’t make me!”

Twisting in my seat I grabbed onto his arm, looking up at me pleadingly. Watching me intently for a moment he slowly shook his head and pried my fingertips from his jacket.

“Get out of the car Lyssa.” He sighed.

Knowing arguing my point was futile, I took a shaky breath before forcing myself to pull the door open. Immediately the cold air hit me like a ton of bricks, stealing the air from my lungs covering my bare legs poking out from beneath my skirt in goose bumps.

“Alyssa get out.” Ashton whined, “I’ve got to get to class.”

Shakily I stepped out onto the curb, clutching my books to my chest as I watched Ashton drive away quickly leaving me surrounded by my classmates yet completely alone.

“Hey look its Alyssa!” Haley Johnson laughed behind me, earning cackles from her circle of cronies.

“A-L-Y-S-S-A Alyssa makes straight guys go gay!” a freshman boy yelled running past me and knocking my books from my hands.

My cheeks burning red I knelt down and began picking up the various pieces of scattered paper which were swirling along the ground in the wind. Stacking my books first I gathered up the papers in order of importance and was just reaching for the only remaining page of my essay which had not blown away when I foot came down on it, holding it into place.

Grateful that someone was actually helping me I went to grab the piece of paper, however no sooner had my fingertips brushed the thin page then the foot raised in the air only to come down a split second later on my fingers.

Letting out a cry of pain I looked up and found Justin Green, Haley’s boyfriend smirking down at me.

“I swear to God you get uglier every day.” He laughed, grinding my fingers into the hard cement, shredding the skin, before walking away.

My eyes welled with tears as I clutched my throbbing hand to my chest, hyena like laughter pelting me from every side, drowning out the ringing of the bell calling us into class. Bowing my head I gathered up my books and rising to my feet hastily made my way inside the school.

My first class was Math, which I was dreading enough without being late. Taking a shaky breath to steady myself I pushed the door open and entered the stuffy class room, immediately earning snickers from my classmates.

“Alyssa.” Mr. Soltis sighed, looking annoyed, “You’re late.”

“I know,” I mumbled, “I’m sorry.”

“Do you have a valid excuse as to why you are disrespecting me and your classmates by disrupting our valuable time?” he demanded.

Licking my lips nervously I looked around the room, my eyes landing on Justin who was watching me intently as if daring me to tell.

“No,” I whispered looking down quickly.

Shaking his head Mr. Soltis crossed over to his desk and after scribbling something down on a piece of paper handed it to me.

“I hope you don’t have plants this evening because you have detention.” He grunted, “Now go take a seat.”

Wanting nothing more than to shred the stupid Detention slip in the balding pudgy man’s face, I forced myself to shuffle one foot infront of the other to my desk in the very back of the room.

“Attention whore.” Someone coughed, as I passed.

Bowing my head I sank down in my seat where I was surprised to find a folded up piece of paper waiting for me. Looking around nervously and finding everyone’s eyes trained on the board, I slowly and quietly unfolded the paper.

Finding the page ripped from a notebook to be blank I frowned before flipping over and inhaling sharply, my heart sinking at the sight of an extremely detailed drawing depicting someone that looked alarmingly like me, suspended from a rope by their neck.

Closing my eyes I quickly crumpled up the paper.

“Alyssa.” Mr. Soltis snapped, startling my eyes open.

“Yes sir?” I mumbled.

“Is there a problem?” he demanded.

Looking around and finding every eye in the room trained on me, a smirk dancing on every pair of lips I shook my head quickly, “No sir.”

“Good.” He grumbled, “Then I expect you to remain silent for the rest of this class am I understood?”

“Yes sir.” I muttered, waiting until he had turned back to the board before crossing my arms over my desk and burying my face, letting a few stray tears fall.