Luke

My ears ringing from the game, I turned into the driveway of the small trailer my Mom and I shared. Making my way up the front steps I removed the key from my back pocket and let myself inside.

Closing the door carefully, so as not to wake my Mom in case she was sleeping, I kicked of my shoes and was starting towards the kitchen to pour myself a bowl of cereal for dinner when the light flicked on behind me.

Knowing I was busted I turned around and found my Mom standing behind me in a very short, very skimpy nightgown. A bottle of something alcoholic clutched in her left hand and a cigarette in her right.

“Where the hell have you been?” she spat.

Swallowing, I watched as she took a long sip from whatever was in the bottle before replying, “School.”

“Bull shit!” she shouted, suddenly, making me jump, “It’s going on nine o’clock you expect me to believe you were at school that entire time!”

“There was a football game.” I said quickly, “I had to take pic…..”

“I made dinner!” she sobbed, going from furious to woe begun in an instant.

“I-I’m sorry.” I stammered, “I told you last night that I….”

“I made your favorite!” she cried, rubbing her eyes on the hem of her dress, nearly lighting it on fire with her cigarette and flashing me her underwear in the process.

“Mom I’m sorry.” I sighed, “Next time I’ll call and remind you.”

Shaking her head she brushed past me entering the kitchen. Sighing I followed wordlessly after her, entering the brightly lit room just as she shoved a pot of hours old boxed mac and cheese under my nose.

“I do everything for you!” she wept, “And what do I can in return?”

“Mom….”

“Nothing! Not one thing Lucas!”

Wincing, I looked down.

Cursing loudly she threw the pan into the full sink, shattering the several dirty cups and glasses stacked there.

“You’re just like your Dad! He was an ungrateful self obsessed prick too!” she laughed, empty the bottle in her hand before throwing it down on the floor.

Jumping back, I eyed the shattered remains that littered the dirty tile floors.

“I work two jobs!” she spat, “I cook for you, I clean this shit hole, I make sure you get to school so you can do something with your life and what do I get in return?”

“Mom please.”

“Nothing!”

Tugging at her she looked around the room desperately for something to throw.

“Mom.” I warned.

Letting out a strangled cry she picked up the empty box of mac and cheese and chucked it at me. Covering my face I flinched a little, as it bounced harmlessly off my arm.

“I should have stopped after your brothers!” she spat picking up a wooden spoon and hurling it at me, luckily missing my face by inches.

“Mom please stop!” I snapped.

“Disrespectful little ingrate!” she cried, picking her car keys up off the counter.

“No!” I shouted, however it was too late, turning away I arched back as I felt the keys connect with my back, undoubtedly leaving a massive bruise.

“Stop it!” I shouted, turning to face her, “You need to stop you’re insane!”

“What did you say?” she screamed.

Knowing I had made a huge mistake I watched as she ripped open the silver wear drawer before pelting me with spoons, forks and butter knives.

Cowering in the corner I tried to protect my face, tears gathering in my eyes as the metal eating utensils showered down on my, hitting my arms, legs, side and parts of my head that weren’t covered.

“Sniveling little coward!” she spat, “Stand up!”

Not moving and not daring to move up I was surprised when I felt her grabbing me by the front of my shirt and hauling me to my feet, slamming me back into the wall. Horrified I stared down at her. Being several inches taller it would have been easy to shoved her off of me and make a run for it, but she was my Mom, no matter what she did I wasn’t about to hurt her, not to mention it would only make her angrier.

“You’re pathetic.” She snarled slamming me back into the wall before releasing me, storming over to the adjoining laundry room where she had been in the middle of ironing before I showed up.

Shaking with furry and fear I straightened up, “You need help.” I informed her, “I…I’m going to call Grandma.”

“Go ahead!” she laughed, “I’ll tell her what an ungrateful little piece of shit you are!”

“You’re sick!” I shouted snapping, “You’re not right in the head, I don’t know if it’s anger issues or the drinking or what the hell it is but….”

“Shut up!” she warned, picking up the iron.

“No! This has been going on long enou….”

“I said shut up!”

“Just listen to me!”

“Shut your mouth!”

The next thing I knew there was a hot iron hurtling towards my face. Too stunned to move I tried to turn my head but wasn’t fast enough. Letting out a loud agonized scream I sank to the ground, clutching the side of my face, my cheek feeling as if it had been hit by a truck and branded simultaneously.

“Lukey!” Mom sobbed, snapping out of it and running towards me, “I-I didn’t mean to you know that right, it slipped!”

“Stay away from me!” I cried, tears leaking from my eyes as I struggled to rise to my feet, backing quickly away from my distraught looking Mom.

“Luke.” She whispered.

“Please.” I muttered, “Just…. stay away from me.”

Turning I ran to my room, locking my door behind me and cramming the chair from my desk beneath the door handle, before curling up on my bed and crying myself to sleep to the sound of my Mom ramming herself against the door, demanded to be let in.