Alyssa

“So how was work?”

“Great, brought the hammer down on some hooligans playing shopping carts around back at Ralphs.”

Frowning, I poked at the cold peas on my plate.

“How where they hooligans if they were playing with shopping carts?” Ashton asked, voicing my opinion, “Would you rather they were spray painting shit or doing drugs?”’

“It’s obnoxious behavior.” Dad snapped, “That’s like these kids the other day, up on the cliff, golfing off the hood of their car.”

“Did anyone get hit with a ball?” Ashton asked.

“No.” Dad grumbled.

“Then what’s the problem?”

“The problem is they should find more productive ways to spend their time.”

Ashton rolled his eyes.

“That’s like these other kids a few miles over, playing cricket or something with water balloons, making a complete mess.”

“Oh my God!” Ashton laughed, “Why don’t you get obsessing over some kids trying to have fun in this bumble fuck town and worry about legitimate crime!”

“Ashton!” Mom warned.

“I’m just saying.” Ashton stayed, “If you want to be such a hero why don’t you try and stop legitimate issues, like bullying?”

“Bullying isn’t a problem in this town.” Dad scoffed.

Dropping his fork Ashton laughed, “Oh my God Alyssa, did you hear that? Oh man, that was rich. You are so delusional.”

“AM I missing something?” Dad demanded.

Ashton rolled his eyes in disgust.

“Alyssa, do you have any idea what your brother is talking about?” Dad asked.

Feeling Mom, Dad, and Ashton looking at me I quickly shook my head.

“Really?” Ashton said, “You have no idea what I’m talking about? You have no idea of anyone who’s bullied, or who’s fucking vagina is all over my twitter time…..

“No Ashton!” I snapped, “I have no idea, why don’t you let it go?”

Scowling at me, Ashton turned back to his dinner.

“Let’s change the subject.” Mom said slowly, “Ashton how’s school going?”

“It’s going.” He grumbled.

Rolling her eyes, Mom turned to me, “How about you Lyss, how was school today?”

“Fine.” I muttered.

“What did you learn about?” Dad questioned.

Looking around the table my eyes landed on the bread basket.

“Agriculture,” I said quickly.

“Oh that’s interesting.” Mom replied, “Are you enjoying it?”

“Yup.” I answered.

“How was your tutoring session with Luke?” she pressed, “I saw him leaving when I pulled in.”

“Fine.” I lied.

“Are your grades improving?” Dad asked.

“Yeah,” I lied.

“How about friends?”

“What about them?” I asked.

“What do you do with them?” Dad sighed, “You don’t bum around like weasels in the seven eleven parking lot like the heathens I busted today right?”