Alyssa

“Did you know that snails can sleep for a full three years without eating?”

“I can’t say that I did.”

“Did you know that Americans collectively eat more than 45 billion sandwiches every year.”

“No I did not.”

“Well did you know that a cricket’s ears are located on its front legs, right above its knees.”

“Nope.”

“Well, I bet you didn’t know that the first person to legally own a slave in the American colonies was a black man named Anthony Johnson.”

“No, I did not know that, and how do you?” I demanded, “Where are you getting these facts.”

Looking up from his sandwich, Luke grinned, “I just know.”

“That’s total bull shit.” I laughed, “You probably googled random facts.”

“Close.” He chuckled, “I get notifications whenever Uber Facts tweets.”

“You, my friend, are a dork.” I informed him.

“It’s fascinating!” he cried.

“No,” I laughed.

“It is!” he argued, “I bet you didn’t know that ingesting a quart of soy sauce can sand you into a coma.”

“I hate to break it to you, but you’re a dweeb.” I said.

Rolling his eyes, he chucked a carrot at me, which I dodged easily.

“See, this isn’t so bad.” He said randomly.

“What?” I asked.

“You and me,” he replied, “having lunch, ignoring the preschool peekers at the “popular table.”

“People have been staring at me all day.” I grumbled.

“So, stare back.”

“No, that’s weird.”

“I bet they’d look away.”

“Yeah and call me the weird staring girl.”

“That’s original.”

“We’re talking about high-schoolers, you’re giving them too much credit.”

“True.”

Smirking, I took the last bite of my salad.

“What do you have after this?” I asked.

“Quantum physics.” He replied, “You?”

“Gym.” I said slowly, my mind not able to wrap around the fact that while I could barely handle algebra, Luke was doing quantum physics.

“Gym sucks.” Luke said with his mouth full, “The guy’s shorts are way too short.”

“And the girl’s shorts are way too lung.” I grumbled.

“It could be worse.” He reasoned, “You could be fored to wear a skirt.”

“That would stink.” I admitted.

Luke smirked as the bell rang.

“I’ll see you after Gym?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I sighed, “I’ll wait by the water fountain.”

“Cool.” He said, fist bumping me, “See you later Lyssa.”

Waving goodbye, I joined the throngs of people filing towards the doors, quickly breaking away from those whispering about me and making a beeline for the gym.