Chapter 27: Paints

|Unedited|

"We called you here for an important update," one of the police officers explained calmly to the couple.

He was quite experienced when handling these situations. And quite frankly, the officer was grateful that the pair was understanding.

A plastic Ziploc bag was carefully slid across a table. Looking down Evie gasped at the familiar handwriting. It was undoubtedly her daughter's, but before she could read the contents, the officer took it away from it's position.

"What does it say? Evie asked in anticipation.

"You'd be pleased to know that this letter contains nothing horrific," the officer continued to explained.

Immediately, Xavier and Evie's facial expressions relaxed.

"However, the contents may also be somewhat difficult to read," he added.

The couple nodded eagerly, not only in agreeance, but also to read the message with great haste. Once the bag was placed in front of them the couple gingerly picked it up. Their eyes savoured the writing of their dear daughter's penmanship. However, something was not right in that letter. (Y/N) was always so appreciative, and to see such odd claims about mistreatment and wanting to run away, it just was not right.

"No," Xavier said while biting his bottom lip in frustration, "there's no way this is my daughter's."

"Pardon me?" the officer replied in confusion.

"She would never want this," Evie clarified.

"I acknowledge your strong beliefs, but I would like you to consider that this may be (Y/N)'s true thoughts. However, the police department will take extra precautions, thus we would like to analyze your daughter's handwritten work. If you would be able to provide us with items, such as journals and handwritten assignments, we will be able to have a graphologist to inspect the letter," the officer explained.

The couple agreed to this idea, and they were dismissed from the station. 

"Where is José right now?" Evie asked Xavier in fear.

"He's home darling. I made sure that all the windows were locked. All the security cameras are on. Both the locks on the front door are locked as well. His tracker is on, and he's still in his room when I checked 5 minutes ago," Xavier calmly replied.

"Thank God he's alright," Evie sighed. "But let me call him just in case."

While Xavier was driving his car, Evie had her phone connected to the bluetooth of the vehicle.

"Hello mom?" José's voice boomed out of the car speakers.

"You're fine. Oh goodness, thank the Gods. Where are you right now?" Evie asked.

"At home, in my room," José replied.

"That's great sweetie. Mommy and daddy are coming home right now."

"Okay."

"I love you."

"Love you too, mom."

---------

"(Y/N) come over here!" Joey yelled out to the girl who was drinking a cup of tea.

"Yes?" she asked him while carrying her tea towards him. 

"Today you're stuck with me," he exclaimed enthusiastically.

"Okay," the teen replied with not much interest.

Joey grabbed her right hand as he intertwined his fingers with hers. Her hand was warm from the cup of tea, but once his palm pressed against hers, the heat transferred, causing her to feel the coolness of his touch. The two of them stumbled up the stairs as (Y/N) struggled to keep the tea from spilling.