15

The cops decided to stop by during the weekend

The cops decided to stop by during the weekend. I knew it made jack uncomfortable, so I stayed close to his side as he talked to the police.

"We found your father." Was the first thing the cop said.

Jack grounded his teeth. "Why should I care?"

"In situation like this the victims find themselves being paranoid. Always looking back. But I'm telling you so you don't have to be afraid that he might come after you."

I rubbed Jacks hand. "I wasn't scared." He muttered.

"Alright, well that's it then." He stood up, but before leaving reached into his shirt pocket. He pulled out a small card. "Call me if you need anything."

"Thanks." Jack took the card but I knew that he wasn't gonna need it. The cop left with a nod.

"That was..." it got awkward. Jack didn't say anything. I looked back at him, he was staring at the ground with a blank face. "Hey, you good?"

He absently nodded and then looked at me, his brown eyes were dark, hurt swimming in their depths. I pained me to see that he was suffering. "Yeah." It was obviously a lie. "I'm just gonna be in the back." He got up and opened the sliding door that led to the back yard. 

I watched him from the kitchen counter, biting my nails, a habit I haven't done in a while. I wanted to go out there to comfort him, but I didn't know if he wanted to.  I didn't really know Jacks home life before this, up until now I thought that it was perfect, but if he was going through this than I would have to think that he was alone. No one to go through this with him.

So I got off of the counter and joined jack outside. It was getting dark, my parents and siblings aren't back yet from the party they went to so it was just us. Which I guess for Jack was fine.

I sat next to him and gave him a side hug. It surprised him, but a second later he was leaning into the embrace. "Thank you." He whispered.

"For what?" I mumbled.

"For...everything. You didn't have to take me in. And get you still did. You didn't have to worry about me, but you did. The feeling I get from living with you guys, it's a feeling I haven't had in a while. It feels nice."

He looked up at the fading sky. From the faint light I could see the tear marks on his cheek. I frowned and lightly kissed it. He turned back to me. "I'd do anything for the people I love."

A/n: hmmmm this story is so uneventful and I am so srry for that