23

jack's family was due to come during the weekend

jack's family was due to come during the weekend. he hadn't told them that he was gay, and was gonna do it when they got here. we were gonna have lunch at our house in the back.

any time we had a party or get-to-gether my mom would freak over cleaning. i'd ask to help but she always said, "no, you'll only be in the way. go do homework."

i shrugged and walked away. jack was already in my room, at the desk, working on math homework. well he had it in front of him, but he was too busy chewing on his pencil to focus.

i pulled it out of his mouth and smiled when he looked up at me. "need help."

he frowned and when i gestured to his homework he shook his head. "i was just thinking."

i sat at the edge of my mattress. "about?"

he chewed his lip before answering. "what if my family doesn't accept me?"

i softened and pulled his chair closer to me, holding both his hands. "of course they'll accept you." i looked over at his math paper, noticing all the erased marks, smirking. "the answer's 27"

i pulled out my own homework as he looked over the problem. he gave me a playful glare and wrote 27.

🏁

saturday came faster than i thought, but i didn't get any homework on friday, so all i had to worry about was jack's family. they were already here but just settling in their hotel.

jack had to continually pull my hand away from my mouth. biting my nails wasn't a habit i did often.

it was at 12 that they rang the doorbell. they were on time. three girls walked in first and then an older lady. jack's sister and mom.

"hi, i'm kristin stanford. you must be myta." she shook moms hand.

"it's nice to finally meet you." mom smiled.

"i just want to thank you for taking care of jack." she pulled her son into a hug.

"it was no problem. but how 'bout introductions?"

"oh right. the little one is isla. this is ava, and the oldest is sydnie." sydnie had light pink hair and a septum ring.

we were already standing from youngest to oldest so it was easier. "this is reese, ryan, zach, and my husband josh."

reese walked up to isla. "you want to see my doll collection."

"sure, mom?" kristin nodded at isla, our sisters ran upstairs.

"how 'bout we move this outside."

we all nod and walk out to the backyard. jack was catching up with his sisters as my mom and his mom talked. he held my hand under the table, probably to keep from drumming them against the table. i squeezed his hand.

mom told ryan to get reese and isla when the table was set. it was grilled cheese and salad with lemonade. my hand felt empty without jack's in it, but i needed both hands to eat.

he was fidgeting the whole time. "hey, you're gonna be okay." i whispered to him.

he nodded and sucked in a deep breath. "uh, excuse me." all conversations stopped. "um, i have something to say." his cheeks burned red, which was rare.

"what is it?" his mom smiled encouragingly.

he looked down and took one more breath, "i'm...gay."