25

jack spent the next week with his mom and sisters

jack spent the next week with his mom and sisters. i hung out with corbyn, daniel, and jonah. i didn't want them to think that i forgot about them. christina was there sometimes but it was mostly just the boys. it reminded me of before jack broke up with cleo and it was just us.

being with them again took my mind off of jack and his mom's proposal. it was his decision after all, but then again...i loved jack, and i didn't want to be dramatic and say that my life would be nothing without him, but, it just wouldn't be the same.

we went to the fair, movies, and sometimes just hung out at each other's houses. mostly jonah's.

when i did go home for the night, my room felt empty. i had gotten used to the warmth of someone else. maybe it was like a foreshadowing of something but i didn't think about it. couldn't think about it.

i hung out it with ryan a couple times, though he was mostly on dates with evy, and reese was with her friends.

on the last day of spring break i was nervous. the boys could tell. they asked me what was wrong. i told them about jack being reunited with his family, how he was so happy, and then about him having to decide between living with my family or going back to his. to me, it was selfish to keep him away from his blood, and there ultimately was nothing i could do to change his mind if he wanted to leave.

they stayed silent, not really knowing what to say. i sighed and changed the subject. telling corbyn i would beat him in fortnite. we all knew it was a lie.

i dreaded the walk back to my house, seeing kristin's car in the driveway next to ours. maybe they were waiting to tell me bye. i didn't believe it for a second.

i wasn't surprised to find everyone in the living. there was a weird feeling in the air and when jack stood up, i couldn't stop the tears.  he didn't have to tell me, because i already knew. it's not that he had lied to me, he had lied to himself.

i let him hug me, my arms tightly holding him against me. "i'm sorry." he mumbled into my shoulder.

"it's okay. i understand."

"i didn't want..." jack pulled away, his cheeks wet. "i didn't want to think about how it would feel to leave you, but that's all i ever thought about." he smiled. "thank you zachary dean herron for everything. thank you for taking me in and showing me what it was to love again."

"don't say it like that. it sounds like we'll never see each other again." i wiped my cheeks. "we'll she each other again, right?"

he laughed lightly. "yes. zach i wont forget you. i can always visit. and we got facetime."

"promise me we won't turn into the 'long-distance-isn't working' couple."

"i promise."

"pinky promise?" i didn't care how childish i looked holding my baby finger up.

"pinky promise." jack wrapped his around mine.

"we should get going." kristin stood behind jack, his sisters saying their goodbyes and thank you's.

they said bye to me as they passed. i held onto jack before he could walk away, giving him one last kiss. he pulled away smiling. "until we meet again."

"dork." i giggled and then pulled him back, lightly slapping his cheek. he was confused but then smirked. "good night." it was as if he was gonna be back tomorrow.

i watched as jack got in the car, sitting in the back with ava and isla, watched as it drove away, and then turn at the corner.

i closed the door and broke down.

trust me, i hated writing this chapter, but one more left and then Free is OVER !!!