Chapter 7: A New Little Brother?

The day has come! Vincent De Vermillion would be arriving today with my parents as they go to pick him up. He is a child blessed by a fairy, with the ability to use earth magic. That is the reason he was picked from the other children at the church orphanage.

My cotton candy pink hair was in two pigtails, and my bangs were pulled back by a diamond headband my father had bought me for my fifth birthday. I wore a simple... well as simple as a noble girl could get... white dress, with blue ribbons and lace. Matching blue shoes to go along with it, the heel nearly nonexistant due to my terrible habit of falling in them. I could never be a true villian, since my fashion was too lazy, and my balance even worse.

"My lady, his Grace's carriage has arrived" Angie informed me, looking adorable as ever!

"Thank you Angie! I will go greet them now" I said softly as I gave a warm smile usually only reserved for Ricin and Angie. She shot back her own as she followed quietly behind me.. sometimes I wondered if Angie was a ninja by how quiet she could sneak up on me.

As I waited at the bottom of the stairs, our always capable butler opened the doors as mother and father walked in, and trailing behind was... the cutest child I had ever seen. Precious was a word that could describe him. All my anxiety about the meeting disapeared as I smiled happily! I was a terrible sibling in my past life, no need to make the same mistake.

"Rose, this is Vincent, your new brother. Please treat him gently and get along with him" I didn't miss the warning in my mother's soft voice. She was worried about my experiments, which have recently become more dangerous as more than one fire has been put out by Ricin. My lab has changed to a beautiful glass greenhouse in the garden due to the intensity of explosions. No... I am not making a bomb, but the chemicals in this world are different from my last so occasionally I have a mess up, here and there...

"Of course mother!" I replied happily, to which she sighed before giving a smile of resignation. No trust now a days huh? How disgraceful, I'll need to bring her tea later.

"Vincent, this is your new sister, Rosalia De Vermillion. She is a few months older than you, so be respectful" Father said sternly, but it was not missed that he had a warmth of happiness in his eyes. He was happy to have a son. What was with this adorable family of mine?

"Well, we will leave you two to get to know one another" My mother said happily, moving Vincent foward with a light push against his back. His large doe eyes shyly looked up at me, as I was slightly taller than him. I gave a warm smile, trying to hide all the enegry coursing through me. A child's energy should not be underestimated!

"Come on Vincent, I'll show you around the garden and my lab" I said happily, ignoring the panic in my mother's eyes. I swiftly grabbed his small chubby hand, before dashing away with him. I sadly did not keep up my ladylike attitude when around family, and as to not hear my mother's scolding, we were gone in a flash!

Showing Vincent around my garden, the mansion (castle), and my lab was enjoyable. While he was quiet, he was so adorable listening to everything I said with such interest, and a tiny sweet smile! I showed him all kinds of books in the library, which he timidly asked if I would teach him to read and write. Of course I readily agreed! This pure child showed no signs of the vicious character in the otome game, and I was extremely relieved.

I taught Vincent about poison, and how to recognize certain smells.

He tentatively asked, "Why would someone try to poison me?"

"Of course, it's because you're a Vermillion now! You are a precious existance in this family, meaning people that dislike our family may try to harm you. In this case, it's good because I am nearly immune to all types of poison people would try to use, but you on the other hand you are not. That means you are the most at risk" I explained, putting away my precious poisons all neatly bottled and labeled back into their respective areas before using earth magic to lock the boxes. I also used a dark spell to ward off anyone but me and Ricin to prevent anyone from using my own poison against my family!

Vincent grew quiet after I spoke, so I looked to the side to see the once prevously smiling child in tears now. Oh dear god...

"V-Vincent!? What's wrong? Are you hurt? Did you drink any poison?!" I was in a panic now, fluttering around the crying child, unsure of what to do. What do people do when someone cries? Wait patiently? Hug them? He is a child without much love and care, so a hug?

I wrapped the cute boy up in my small arms, he leaned against my shoulder as he cried. His tears soaked through my dress, but I tenderly pet his hair and I waited for his tears to end.

After what seemed to be an hour, he quieted down, before raising himself from my arms. His eyes were red and puffy, but a small smile was on his lips... "Miss Rosalia... Thank you" And a bright smile, like the sun, lit up on his face. Yet, a frown made its way to my lips as I sighed, before crushing Vincent in my arms again. "It's not Miss! It's big sister to you!" I scolded playfully, I had found I liked petting his hair... it was soft and fluffy like a kitten.

"Yes! big sister" Vincent laughed, hugging me back this time.

Yes... having a little brother is wonder! His innocence will be protected by me, and I'll make sure mother and father love him properly. Thus, he will grow into a good man!