Chapter Sixteen

The sun was just beginning to rise and a cool breeze blew through the landscape. The sky resembled a child's orange finger painting and any other day Ochaco would have admired it, but she was focused on bettering herself. The woman stood in the forest and looked at the rotting log below her. She wore a plain purple tank-top perfect for training and indigo shorts that stopped just above her knee. Uraraka looked back to double check her surroundings and nodded her head. She gazed back down at the log of wood and wrapped her small hands around what should could. She gave the object a tug and feel backwards onto her butt. There was a thud and Ochaco let out a disappointed sigh. Works smarter not harder, just like Daddy use to say.

The girl stood up and examined the log. She knew her hands were not strong enough to keep a grip on the base of the log, so she needed something to grip. The rotting bark was not going to hold, but something stuck out to her. The log had thick remnants of branches and she could use that in her favor. Uraraka grinned and rubbed her hands together. She then bent over and grabbed the portion of the log that she could hold onto. She tightly clasped her hands around the two subs and pulled on the log, it moved and this time she did not fall back."Yes !" She looked up at the birds flocking from the trees after her victorious yell and cringed."Sorry."

Ochaco pulled the log out of the wilderness and into the flat plain that was outside of the marble temple she and Deku had been sleeping in for the past few days. She pulled the log into the middle of the grassland and dropped it. Bark bounced off of the old log as it hit the ground and a few pieces of wood scrapped Ochaco's thick thighs.(Jesus, write your comments.) Ochaco looked at the wood and then at her hands. She watched as he fingers grew a bright pink and she smiled. Uraraka then placed one of her hands on the log and it began to float, but after a few seconds she began to feel queasy. The girl placed her fingers together and the pink glow faded away and gravity took its toll on the log. She watched it land on the ground and she made it float again, but just like last time the side effects took over almost instantly. She repeated the same process for the next hour, and each time she stopped when she reached her limit.

Ochaco fell backwards onto the grassy ground below her a sweat dripped down her forehead. Her chocolate like hair was damp with sweat and her top was drenched with sweat. She looked at the old log with disappointed eyes. She frowned and looked down at the palm of her hand."Deku can use his quirk without a problem, but I do this for five seconds, and I'm out for the count." She stood up and inched towards the log."What if I don't give in ?", questioned the girl to herself a she peered at the log. She touched the log and watched it closely as it began to rise into the air like a fresh balloon. She felt a knot form in her stomach as it rose above her head, but unlike the last attempt she did not give in. Instead the girl furrowed her brow and crinkled her nose as she focused. The object continued to rise, but her body gave in and she bent over as she began to hurl. As she threw up an odd concoction Ochaco felt someone pull her hair behind her head."You're pushing yourself too far too soon."

Ochaco caught her breath and turned to look at the man behind her."Sorry Deku, but I've got to get stronger."

Deku looked at her with his bright eyes and wiggled his nose."And why's that ?" He knew what she would answer, but he wanted to hear it from her.

"Because like you said a big heart will only get you so far, and I want to be able to protect people. I don't want to run in like the old Ochaco and need you to save me, I want to be the hero from now on."

"You won't get better in a single day. Quirk training is like building a muscle, you have to work it constantly, and with time it will grow stronger. You need to improve that stamina of yours, and what you did was fine, until you went too far. Stop at your limit, don't exceed it."

"But I want to be stronger when today's over !"

"Everyone wants to better themselves, but that doesn't come in a day. No-one can master themselves in a twenty-four hours, it takes time. Don't tell me you think the heroes of your stories were born great ?"

Ochaco countered,"I was told as a little girl heroes were born not made."

"That's bullshit. Someone is born with the will to help people, but if their skills do not compare to that than they're worthless. They will be mutilated by a stronger opponent in an instant and now they will need the saving."

"Then what should I do ?"

"Take a break, rest up, go drink some water, or train yourself in a different way."

.....

Deku sat on the steps of the temple and looked out at the forest. Night had settled and the sky was like a dark blanket sprinkled with stars. The thick air was cold and the silence was eerie. The only sounds were soft footsteps behind the man and the rustling of leaves. He knew who was behind him, but he decided against acknowledging her. Ochaco sat down next to Deku and pulled her knees high. Her arms were wrapped around her legs as she looked out into the wilderness with the messy-haired man. Deku murmured without giving Ochaco a glance,"You did good today."

Ochaco squeaked,"Really, ya think so ? I didn't really do much after you gave me that lecture."

"Maybe not, but you got in plenty of work this morning. I like to call you hardheaded to pick on you, but that stubbornness is handy when you want to be greater than everyone else." Deku turned and faced Ochaco."Don't let that go to your head !"

She laughed at him,"I won't." The girl then began to get up but Deku stuck out his arm. The woman gave him a confused glance."What is it ?"Deku reached to his side and grabbed a small contraption. He played with the object in his hand before handing it to Ochaco. She took it and gave him unsure eyes.

"Press the pink jewel."

Ochaco tapped it and a blade popped out."Eeeep ! Why'd did you give me this ?"

Deku looked up at her and explained,"It belonged to someone I cared about, and I think you'll need it. Tomorrow we're leaving and will begin to travel north. The closer we get to the Regime the more dangerous things will get, and I need to know you have something to keep you safe. Taking a life can be difficult, but a weapon can make it a lot easier, and don't give me some bullshit about heroes not killing. We aren't heroes; we are people the Regime wants dead and we must be willing to do whatever it takes to survive."

"Why'd you have this on standby to hand me ?"

Deku gazed at Ochaco and grinned,"You always come outside and talk to me before you go to bed."

Ochaco stared at Deku for a few moments with an awe stricken face before leaving him on the steps. She made it into the temple and marveled at the dagger in her hands. The deadly weapon was beautiful, even if it could take a life. The iron handled sparkled and Uraraka stared into the pink rock. She admired the sapphire and looked at herself as she reflected in it with her short brown hair and fair face.