Chapter Twenty-Three

Ochaco looked into the clear night sky as she ran. The gravel below her feet kicked into the air and her eyes began to focus on the small village ahead of her. When she first spotted it the town seemed about the size of her own and stable, yet the closer she drew to it the less ease she felt about it. The smell of ash was strong and there was no sign of life, not even a single light.

She came to a stop and gasped for air as she neared the village. The woman wheezed as she bent over and gasped for air. While huffing she placed a hand over her stomach and contorted her face as it began to rumble. For the past hours food had not crossed her mind, but she was beginning to feel the effects of her famine. Her and Deku would typically eat a large breakfast and cap off the night with a dinner, but given the distractions she had not had time to eat. She took her hand from her belly and looked up with her face flushed red and sweat rushing down her brow.

.....

Deku placed a hand on his side as he walked through the forest. He kicked the dirt below is feet and grimaced in pain as he moved. His body ached everywhere and he was drained from his previous fights. As he limped through the forest he felt something cold brush against his shoulder and he shuttered in reaction. Deku stopped and straightened himself out. There was a hint of annoyance in his voice as he complained,"Don't waste my fucking time; some of us have things to do."

"You're not well Izuku," said the wind.

"Thanks, I couldn't tell," chuckled Deku as he bobbed his head."What gave it away; the broken ribs or me limping like a wounded animal ?"

"You misunderstand me, I speak of your soul's cohesion."

"I don't have time for the mystical bullshit !", groaned Deku."If you want to tell me something show it to more or just say it, no more poems !"

"What pushes you forward today Izuku ? I have foreseen your fall since the beginning of time and now I have watched it unfold for centuries. I've watched you fight, love, mourn, and crumble over and over, and even after so long you remain naive, unaccepting of the truth."

"You talk a lot for someone that could be ended by a lighter."

"You decided against accepting your true emotions and instead bury them deep like her former incarnations."

"So that's what you think then, huh ?" Deku laughed," I wish that was the fucking truth cause I'd kill someone to make that a reality." Deku then sat on the ground against a tree and began to look into the sky and admire the constellations."I've never been able to suppress what I feel just sedate it. When ever I met her for the first time again I can feel my insides twist and my heart thump, but along with that comes a shit ton of sorrow. I'm not cursed with loosing her but instead the knowledge that I will, and I can't do a damn thing about it." Deku began to run his finger through the dirt and scribble small images that no person could decipher."T-The thing I hate the most is I love each one more than the last." There was a sad smile on Deku's freckled face as he spoke."Gods, this girl is something else and I love her for it. She such a dumbass always trying to help people, and does everything in her power to try and change me for the better but nowadays I have a black heart." Deku let out a sigh as he picked himself up."I know that if she was to learn I loved her to death than I'd surely lose her, so until the day comes when she's taken from me I'll get what I can. When I get out of here I continue to touch her hand as she sleeps and hell maybe I'll even be able to convince her that she could use another dance lesson." Deku then began to laugh to himself at the idiocy that he had just spouted.

.....

Ochaco ran her fingers against the charred wall of a small building. The burnt stone smelt wretched and ash along the walls stuck to the pads of her fingertips. She furrowed her brow as she rubbed her fingers together and stared at the ash. Her lips fell into a flat line as she grew curious and looked up. "Hello ! ", shouted Ochaco with her hands cupped around her mouth. There was no response besides the howling of a strong wind.

Ochaco bit the inside of her cheek and began to glance towards the end of the town. The place was odd and something about it was eating away at Ochaco; there was an eerie sense of familiarity about the place.

Ochaco had passed through the village minutes ago and stopped as she reached the base of a hill. She stared at the many graves in front of her and took a gulp. She looked at the fading names etched into the granite and felt a tinge of curiosity when she notice no date was marked. She looked up and caught a lump in her throat at the sight of a toasted tree. The tall tree's limbs stretched out and below it rested cherry blossoms that had been burnt to a crisp, but what sparked her interest was a single grave resting on the hill top.

.....

Ochaco stood under the lifeless tree and looked at the grave below it. This grave was just like all of the others but there was something scribed onto it that seemed to be a foreign language.

Ochaco looked at the grave quietly and pondered about what had happened. As she studied the memorial there was a loud crash. A gust of wind blew against her back and the flapping of wings radiated from behind her.

A tall man stood behind her and quietly muttered,"You will soon rest here too, but before hand you should know the truth."

Ochaco turned around and looked at the tall man. His features were hidden by the darkness but the outline of his figure was visible. Ochaco fell backward and tucked a hand into the bag slung over her shoulder. The man looked down at her and didn't utter a word as she scrambled for something inside of her bag.

The man began to ramble as Ochaco grabbed a hold of a possession in her bag."The grounds we stand on now are older than you could ever comprehend. This place was destroyed by me and my race long ago and the ashes still stand today, and I'd be lying if I didn't admit it brings a smile to my lot face." A smirk began to paint his face as he said," The suffering we brought to him that day is unmatched and nothing could ever top it. The way the lord touched the village and set it ablaze without hesitation or the sounds of muffled screams as building caved in on ripe families, however nothing touched my heart quite like what unfolded on this very hilltop." Ochaco grabbed at the blade Deku gave to her from the bag as the man yelled," Nothing was better than ripping what the man loved from him, and fate must be smiling upon us because this is the thousandth year since that day and history is about to repeat itself !"

Ochaco rolled out of the way as the man raised his arms and avoided his powerful blow, but he did catch her bag. She let go of the bag and placed a hand on herself and began to float into the sky. She maneuvered herself towards the tree and pushed herself towards the man. He grabbed ahold of her as she tried to dodge his punch and held her into the air. His eyes followed Ochaco's hand as she raised a blade. His eyes widened in shock as he realized what she held.

The man grunted in pain as the blade caught him and drew blood. He increased his hold on her and began to crush her collarbone. He chuckled," I guess even with a weapon like that you still just a defenseless human." The man then threw Ochaco into the tree and watched as she fell to the ground and she dropped the blade she had held.

The man stood and looked at her as she laid on the ground, but changed his attention when the sky above him grew cloudy. He watched as rain began to pour and the sound of thunder began to echo across the land."You're alive," muttered the man. His words were followed by a thunderous bang and a single green streak from the sky striking him.

"And now you're dead." Deku watched as steam began to rise from the man and his face remained motionless as his body slowly fell to the ground

Deku stared at Ochaco as she rested on the ground and walked towards her. He knew she wasn't dead just unconscious and tired much like him, but of something else entirely. He reached down and picked up Ochaco. He then put her over his shoulder and said under his breath," I would've killed you if you had died."