2

****

By the lake, there was a cluster of willow trees that sat nestled on the bank. This particular place was where I found myself most days in the short break after classes got out and before dinner. I found it calming to get away from the chatter of the school, just to sit in nature and enjoy the present moment. Olivia rarely joined me because of her "seasonal allergies". Although, I knew the real reason she didn't want to was because she wanted to wait in the common room for Quinton Miles, her slight obsession since we were first years.

    I didn't mind though, I thought her crush was adorable, and found being alone calming in a way. The breeze flitted through my hair and I stripped off my thick black robe, leaving me in my skirt and shirt only. I loosened my black and yellow stripped tie so it hung loose around my neck. Running my fingers along my wand, I caused a line a bright flowers to bloom at my feet in a pattern that spelled out my name. The sun was hot, but it felt nice and I looked out over the lake at its reflection. I closed my eyes and inhaled. On the Hogwarts grounds, you could practically feel the magic seeping out of every nook and cranny, every space held something that was just waiting to be discovered.

A twig snapped loudly and my eyes flew open. I shifted my position so I could see what had caused the disturbance in my peaceful ritual. Four figures were approaching, shoving each other and cackling with laughter. I half stood, unsure if I should leave or not. I was slightly disappointed, no one usually ventured to this part of the bank. I was about to leave when I heard something that caught my attention as the figures drew closer.

"That was just the beginning!", a boy's voice called excitedly, and I noticed something small was flitting around his head. A bird? No. A snitch. James Potter. I groaned and my shoulders slumped. Fantastic. Not only had my special place been found, it had been found by the four worst students at Hogwarts. The voices grew louder as they approached where I was hovering, still covered by the branches of the trees.

"I've been working on some spells that will really get Snivellus", James snorted, causing the other boys to break into chatter. I clenched my teeth and my hands balled into fists. Four against one, that's what it was. Four popular boys against one helpless one. The injustice burned at my insides. I bit my lip, trying to hold my tongue. I should just slip out the other side behind the tree and go back to the castle. Yes, that is what is expected of me. To be a meek, passive Hufflepuff. Unfortunately, that is not what I am.

The boys were close now, practically under the tree. I heard Serious begin to say, "See, isn't this place perfect, no one will overhear...", but I didn't allow him to complete whatever obnoxious thing he was going to say. I scooped up my robes and flung aside the wisps of the willow trees that had previously masked me. There stood the infamous four boys. "You are simply detestable!", I cried, "You four think that you run the castle, parading around like you are God's gift to magic. Do us all a favor and lay off Snape. It doesn't do anything for you or your stupid reputations, which if I'm correct, you care much too much about", I let out a final huff of air and glanced around at their stunned faces.

Pettigrew clutched his chest, clearly I had startled him. Potter and Lupin stood side by side, their mouths slightly agape. Black was closest to me, close enough that I could smell his smokey scent and hear his breathes. A smirk slowly spread across his lips and he looked me up and down. My face burned, not with a blush, with anger. I bit my lip, trying to stop the words from spilling out, but I couldn't.

"That smirk is much less attractive than you think it is, Black", I scoffed, and with that, I stocked past the group, my hair whipping behind me in the wind. As I retreated across the grounds back to the castle, I heard Sirius let out a laugh that strangely reminded me of the bark of a dog, then, "A Hufflepuff with some lip. Never seen that in my life".

****

    "You did what!?!", Amber spluttered, choking on the sip of Butterbeer she had just taken. I shrugged as Olivia pounded her on the back in an attempt to stop her coughing. The five of us Hufflepuff 6th year girls sat in a circle in the middle of the dormitory, surrounded by quilts, pillows, and various treats we had gotten from the kitchens. "It was about time someone stood up to those four if you ask me", shrugged Maggie, scratching under Poppy's chin, her bright hair piled on top of her head in a messy bun.

    "Thank you!", I let out, throwing my hands in the air and picking up a Pumpkin Pasty from the pile beside me. After the incident of this afternoon, I had basically sprinted to the Great Hall, grabbed the girls and told them everything as quickly and quietly as possible. Amber had not been there, and so I was forced to relive it once again, this time however, at least in the comfort of my dormitory.

    "We always knew you had it in you, but damn", Olivia laugh. "I don't know what came over me!", I said, nibbling at the crust of a fresh pastry. "Briony, you are officially my new hero", Skye giggled, and made a string of confetti and glitter shoot out of the tip of her wand. "Oh come on!", Olivia cried, "Last time you did that it was weeks before the glitter came out of the carpet!".

"Who cares about glitter!", Amber said, finally over her coughing fit. "You said you talked to Sirius Black?".

I nodded, cringing visibly. "Oh, don't pretend like you don't think he's hot", she said with a twinkle in her eye. I thought back to our encounter. I mean, yes, I did have eyes. He was a good looking guy. And I never realized that he smelled so good, but none of that mattered. "I choose personality over looks any day", I said raising an eyebrow at Amber, "And Sirius Black has the most vile personality of anyone I've ever met. End of story". Maggie laughed loudly, scaring Poppy and causing her to sprint around the room with reckless abandon.

After we caught her and calmed her down, we fell back into giggly conversation, then into a game of exploding snap. Even though the nagging feeling that I had started something today that could change my life played at my mind, nothing could take away the feeling of jubilation I felt when I was with these girls. When it was finally time to go to bed, we wished each other goodnight and blew out the candles, the smell of smoke reminding me of someone I wish I could forget.

****