5

****

Thankfully, Professor Bocchine, the DADA teacher, let us sit where we wanted in the next class. I thought I might just go drown myself in the lake if I was forced to sit next to Black for two classes in a row. So, I sat wedged in between Maggie and Olivia. Unfortunately for them, they had to endure me complaining about Black before, during, and after the lesson.

After it was over, in order to raise my spirits, Liv suggested that the three of us make our way down to the kitchens and ask the House Elves if they had any sweets to spare, which of course they did. They always did. So, we left the kitchens with our hands full of cream puffs and tarts, a smile finally forcing its way onto my face.

"Should we go for a walk on the grounds?", Maggie said, mouth full of cherry tart. I nodded and swallowed the last bite of my chocolate puff. Even though my special spot had been compromised, I still loved being outside, and no number of annoying Gryffindors could take that away. I wiped my hands on my robes, knocking off the excess crumbs. The afternoon sunshine washed over our faces and I inhaled the fresh air.

I reached up and began to undo my braids, letting my hair billow out behind me in the wind, now wavy and unruly. "Maggie!", a light voice called from across the pavilion. The three of us looked around for the source of the voice, unsure of who it could be. A beaming face surrounded by bright red hair ran towards us. "Hello, Lily", Maggie grinned, "Would you like a lemon tart?". Maggie unfolded a napkin holding the last fruit tart and held it out to the Gryffindor standing in front of us.

Lily's green eyes lit up and she nodded, "Thanks!", she said, sinking her teeth into the treat. "I will never understand how you Hufflepuff's manage to get all this extra food!", she giggled as powdered sugar fell from the corners of her mouth. "It's our special house secret", winked Maggie, "This is Briony and Olivia, by the way". Lily's eyes turned to us, and she smiled in Liv's direction, her eyes then falling on me. A small smirk appeared on her face and she let out, "So your the infamous Hufflepuff who's been giving our boys some hell".

Great, I thought to myself. Of course Black had been spreading rumors about me. "Guilty as charged", I shrugged. Lily let out a laugh that sounded like the tinkling of bells, "It's about time someone other than me stood up to them!". I was taken aback, and a grin made its way onto my face. "Maybe one day we can get together and think of ways to give them a taste of their own medicine", she winked and I nodded. "I would love that", I laughed. I had never really talked to Lily Evans before, but of course I had heard about her and Potter supposed "romance" from my little brother as well as every other gossip obsessed Gryffindor.

Lily smiled at me and I couldn't help but return it as we made our way, a splash of red added to our swarm of yellow, across the grounds, the setting sun a picture perfect background. 

****