33

****

"I cannot physically describe how much I love Christmas time", I sighed, gazing up at the sky, allowing the snowflakes fluttering down to settle on my nose and eyelashes. Fairy lights floated on the snow capped trees covering the grounds. The atmosphere smelled of pine and gingerbread. The candles seemed to glow brighter, the fires warmer. Carols rang throughout the halls of Hogwarts castle, and everything seemed to become a slightly better version of itself. Christmas just did that.

    There was nothing I enjoyed or loved more than this particular holiday. It was basically a requirement in my family. Together we decorated the tree, baked cookies, and drove into town in my mom's old beat up car to look at the Christmas lights strung up on the large houses. And speaking of my mom, Christmas time was the one time a year she actually encouraged my father to go crazy with his magic instead of rolling her eyes at him. And go crazy he did.

Enchanted lights cover every inch of the farm. The neighbors always wonder how our lights shine so bright, and how none of the bulbs seem to burn out. A 15 foot Christmas tree towers in our living room, decorated with ornaments that change colors and strings of popcorn that always smell as if they have just been popped. A consent stream of snow falls over the tree, covering it in a light coat of fluffy white wonder.

    But it wasn't just the decorations that made the holidays so special. Mom, Dad, Ronan, and I get to enjoy each others company, ignore the work that needs to be done at school or on the farm or in town where my Dad works. We sit around the crackling fire, magically made to never burn out, and sip hot chocolate mixed with pumpkin juice, Christmas music blasting and the sound of our laughter filling the air. I loved the busy atmosphere of Hogwarts castle, but going back to the farm during the holiday break always reminded me of how important it is to connect with your roots.

    "No matter how many spells we learn, nothing will be as magical as this" , smiled Olivia from beside me, wrapping her black and yellow striped scarf tighter around her, the white snow in stark contrast with her dark hair. The snow crunched beneath our feet as we crossed the grounds on our way back up to the warm castle. "Hello, ladies!", a hand shot out, grabbing the golden snitch that had just darted through the snow and in front of Liv and I's rosy faces.

    James tucked the snitch into the pocket of his robes, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Hello, Briony", Remus approached, stopping beside James, "Olivia". Remus' eyes lingered on her for a second too long before he turned back to me. "Hello, boys", I grinned, my breath visible, curling into the cold air then dissolving away into the winter's day.

We began to walk again, none of us wanting to linger in the biting cold, as beautiful as it was. "I had a question for you Carter", James said, tugging on the sleeve of my robes. "Mhm?", I nodded, the two of us falling in stride, slightly behind Remus and Olivia, who were politely chatting about the holidays and what they thought might be for dinner, there was a rumor the elves were making Christmas cookies as a special treat.

"I need a favor", he grinned toothily, shoving his hands deep into his pockets. "Okay", I let out slowly. I had no idea what he was going to ask me, with James it could be anything. "I want to make a grand gesture for Lily", he said, throwing his hands out as if to show me just how grand he wanted it to be.

"I thought it would be well, romantic, if I set up a sort of dinner thing for her", he began, a slight blush creeping up his cheeks. "Candles, food, the whole shebang", he continued as we neared the castle. A smirk was beginning to form on my lips. Who knew cocky James Potter was such a softy? "I've heard that you are quite talented when it comes to flower charms", James said as we reached the front door, pulling it open and allowing me to enter the castle before him, letting the door swing shut behind us.