35

"So, are you gonna go?", Olivia's voice broke the silence of the dark dormitory. "Of course she's gonna go", the high pitched squeal of Amber sounded, "No one says no to Calum Archer". Night surrounded us, the sounds of crickets and owls hooting floated from the window above my bed. I pulled my quilt up to my chin and squeezed my eyes shut. It had taken me a full day to recover from the surprise declaration of a date from Calum, and once I told the girls about it, they all just about lost their minds.

"I think she's asleep", whispered Skye from across the room. I sighed and then let out, "No, I'm awake". There was a pause, and the sound of Maggie's soft snores filled the air. "So, are you gonna go?", Olivia repeated, causing Skye to let out a giggle. Groaning, I rolled over so my face was buried in my pillow. "I don't know", my voice came out muffled. I truly didn't. Yes, I went through a phase where I was slightly obsessed with Calum, but it was just a silly crush. I didn't think anything would actually happen. There was something else holding me back, too. I wish I didn't know what, but the truth is, I did.

Suddenly, I sat up. "I'm going for a walk", I slung my legs to the side of my bed and slipped on a pair of boots. My silk pajamas clinging to my skin. "Bri, it's past curfew", Skye breathed. The tip of Liv's wand illuminated her face. She looked concerned, but slightly amused. "I'll be careful, don't worry",I said, and before anyone could try and stop me, I was gone.

****

    After only about ten minutes of wandering the candle lit halls, I was already regretting not changing into warmer pajamas. The silk shorts I was wearing were not the best for the cold winter weather. I rounded a corner and ran my hands through my hair. I should go out with Calum. There was no valid reason for me not to. He was attractive, smart, nice, and everything someone should want. So why didn't I? Because I wanted someone else.

 I hadn't realized how far into the castle I had wandered until I saw the corridor leading to the Gryffindor common room stretching before me. Of course my subconscious had taken me there. I rubbed my temples, hoping to alleviate some of the tension that had built up. I leaned against the cool wall, goosebumps rising up my legs. The clock on the wall chimed and I looked up. The small hand pointed at the curving 2 and I let out a sigh. I should get back to the dormitory. The later it was the more trouble I would be in if I was caught.

Turning around slowly, I began to retreat towards the basement where the rest of the Hufflepuffs were sound asleep when a voice from behind me whispered, "Briony?". Spinning around and seeing who the voice belonged to, my heart stopped. "What are you doing up?", I breathed. "I could ask you the same thing, sunshine", Sirius said, slowly moving toward me. The flickering candlelight move across his face. His hair was tousled and he sported a loose fitting black shirt and grey sweatpants.

"Couldn't sleep", I muttered. We stood close now, his smell making me lightheaded. He looked down at me, his expression wary. "Me either", he let out, his voice level. I swallowed, my throat suddenly very dry. We looked at each other, and for some reason I got the feeling he was sizing me up. I didn't know what to say. A million thoughts were racing through my head, but none of them seemed to be able to make their way from my brain to my mouth.

"What could possibly be so important that would make you loose your precious beauty sleep", Sirius cocked an eyebrow. "Calum Archer asked me out", I slowly. His eyebrows drew together but he let out a laugh. "Ah", he said, leaning against the wall. "But I don't think I'm going to go", I said quickly, before I could stop myself. An unintentional smiled flitted onto his lips and he tried to do his best to hide it. "And why is that?", he said, his eyes softly trained on me, "Mr. Perfect not good enough for you?". "Something like that", I let out weakly.

What was wrong with me? Just tell him you like him. It's not that hard. Just say it! Sirius' eyes flitted across my body and I became very aware of how little fabric covered my body. Quickly, I folded my arms across my chest. He looked away, and let out a small cough. I wanted to tell him how I felt, but I couldn't. I shifted my weight between my feet and looked down. My hair fell so it covered my face, but I didn't bother moving it.

"It's late", I let out softly, "Well, early I guess". Letting out a slight laugh, my eyes moved back up and met his. His sharp face was pulled tight in concentration. "I should be getting back to bed", I continued. He didn't respond. I needed to leave. I needed to go back to the dormitory and lay in bed and force myself to stop thinking about his eyes and his laugh. It would never happen, I knew that in my heart. There was no way that someone like him would be interested in someone like me. "Goodnight, Black", I smiled slightly and turned on my heel.

It happened so quickly I couldn't have stopped it even if I tried. I felt the warm grasp of a hand on my arm, and with a force I couldn't fight I was spun around. Then, his lips crashed onto mine. I let out a slight gasp as I felt his soft lips on my skin. His hands grabbed my waist and pulled me impossibly close to him. Our lips moved in perfect synch. He kissed me with a hunger, and I kissed him as if this would be my only chance of ever feeling this way again.

My fingers found his hair, and as they ran through his locks the peppermint smell dispersed through the air. His hands moved to my face and we broke apart. My heart was pounding and his chest rose and fell in fast pace. Our noses still touched, the moment not broken yet. His warm breath hit my face and I didn't dare move. Slowly, impossibly slowly, he tilted his head up and planted a light kiss on my forehead, then my right cheek, right where my dimple poked out of my cheek. He moved to the other cheek, his lips brushing my skin, which was now glowing with a strawberry blush.