Joke

"I've been in love with you for a long time," you said. "I just didn't know how to say it."

Taken aback, I was not able to think of the right words to say. I just took my gaze away from the sunset and bring them to you, only to be met  by the brown in your eyes. In that afternoon of the first day of the fourth month, I didn't hear the howling of the winds, nor the singing of the birds, nor the clutter of noise from a not-so distant city street. All I heard was my heart, amidst its loud drumbeats, whispering that I have waited so much for this.

The shock from my face slowly transformed into a smile, I was so happy and I thought I wouldn't be able to contain it, that any second then tears will one after another slide and glide their way on my cheeks. Yet they didn't. I'm glad they didn't.

"I love you more than you can possibly imagine," I finally answered without stammering, feeling a sense of relief in finally releasing the secret I've kept in the treasure box of my heart for years.

It was then that you smiled that sweet smile I have always adored. To my surprise, you suddenly laughed.

"You really know how to play the game. Your joke is better than mine. And you looked more serious and into it. Happy April Fools to you, too."

"I love you, too." I said as I tried to laugh with you, as it was the only choice I have. "Yeah, I love you, too."

I wished we could have a century of April Fools Day so I could say how much I love you without being scared of you walking away from me. With you looking as happy as you were that day when I said it. So I could also hear you say it to me. So I could be free to tell you this without looking like a fool. But who else am I fooling when it tears at my heart that you will only see all this as no more than just a stupid joke?